Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 AM

Default Re: well... let\'s go Angels!!!

[ QUOTE ]
hating the red sox.. just doesn't make much sense. it's like hating the underdog. hating the guy who never wins. it just doesn't compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's like calling Paul Allen the underdog.

The Red Sox win almost every year (4 losing seasons since 1967). They go to the playoffs a lot (3rd most in the AL since 1900)and they usually have the second highest payroll in baseball.

Not exactly the underdog. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 03:09 AM

I can't stand Berman, but I think I'll defend him here. I've heard the term "pulling the string" to describe a curveball a lot of times. I think it refers to the motion of the pitcher's hand when he releases the ball.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
cuz I hate the sox!

[/ QUOTE ]

Very late entry into this thread but Salty you really should get to know this team a little better. They are quite a bunch of characters, very likable.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:33 AM

The only player I dislike is Pedro, the rest do crack me up, but as a team I can't root for them, sorry.

My buddies and I constantly laugh at Damon. How can someone who throws that much like a girl, be in the majors???
Old 10-07-2004, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only player I dislike is Pedro, the rest do crack me up, but as a team I can't root for them, sorry.

My buddies and I constantly laugh at Damon. How can someone who throws that much like a girl, be in the majors???

[/ QUOTE ]

He does throw like a girl, we laugh about it all the time, but he does just about everything else well.

Rarely does his arm afect the outcome of a game which wasn't the case with the Twinkies right fielder in the game last night. Why the hell was he throwing to the cut off man on a ball that shallow. They should have had a decent shot at nailing Jeter at the plate.

But it's all good. Most of Red Sox nation want to face the Yankees anyway. Not necessarily that we think they will be easier to beat, I certainly don't. If the Sox finally win it all it will be kind of hollow if we don't have to go through New York to do it.

So let the Twins and Yankees beat each other up for a grueling 5 game series while we hopefully take care of business tommorrow night.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Why wasn\'t Percival pitching in the 9th?

Shouldn't you go with your best in a critical game? Down only one run, keeping the score 4-3 was imperative. Percy hadn't pitched the day before and today is an off-day.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:36 AM

You ever see Bernie Williams throw? Or Garret Anderson? Everybody's got some holes in their game.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rarely does his arm afect the outcome of a game which wasn't the case with the Twinkies right fielder in the game last night. Why the hell was he throwing to the cut off man on a ball that shallow. They should have had a decent shot at nailing Jeter at the plate.

[/ QUOTE ] The hit made Jones step back a few steps and reach up, because of this he didn't have his feet set to make a good throw home. If he could get his feet set, I think he nails Jeter because he was playing far shallower than usual.

BTW, do you guys laugh whenever Damon runs too? I love watching him and Byrnes play because they both look like Cavemen out there. Good thing they both can play, but Damon still has the arm of a little girl.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Why wasn\'t Percival pitching in the 9th?

Good question, I suppose they wanted to go to their go-to guy Donnelly [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You ever see Bernie Williams throw? Or Garret Anderson? Everybody's got some holes in their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's typical of all CF in this era to really not have good arms. I know there are some exceptions but mostly they are out there to run down fly balls and close the gap on doubles so that they don't turn into triples. Griffey never really had a great arm.

Usually the LF and RF have the best arms so they can throw runners out at home on fly balls [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]