Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Explain ND over Oregon ....

Oregon is #5 in the BCS and ND is #6, yet by getting #6 ND was "guaranteed" a spot in the BCS? And Oregon was not? I'm so confused.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Explain ND over Oregon ....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-06-2005, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

In the BCS there is a lot of dollar signs. Hell, the whole reason Texas jumped Cal last year for the Rose bowl is because there was little to no interest in Cal. I highly believe Texas made some type of deal under the table and said if you put us there, 40,000+ fans will travel out to LA, fill up your hotels and go to the game. Sure enough we did come, and it turned out to be one of the best Rose Bowls in history.

Same with Oregon. ND has a huge alumni base. Oregon is a good program but it is no ND. All these college presidents want money for their schools. Its about having the hotels/resturants/bars/etc packed to capacity. If the payout for a BCS game was 2 million per team instead of 17 million per team/conference, you would probably see different results.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[/ QUOTE ]

In the BCS there is a lot of dollar signs. Hell, the whole reason Texas jumped Cal last year for the Rose bowl is because there was little to no interest in Cal. I highly believe Texas made some type of deal under the table and said if you put us there, 40,000+ fans will travel out to LA, fill up your hotels and go to the game. Sure enough we did come, and it turned out to be one of the best Rose Bowls in history.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be the dumbest thing I have ever heard (except for the part about it being a great game). You think that the voters in both human polls, and the 6 computers all somehow conspired to screw Cal in the last week of the season? I bet you think online poker is rigged too. Cal finished 5th for the same reason that Oregon did this year. They didnt schedule anyone good out of conference, and should have lost to Southern Miss in a nationally televised game that was make or break for them in that last week before the final votes were in. Obviously they werent good enough to be there anyway since they got waxed in the Holiday Bowl (partly due to injuries to their 3 best receivers, but they would have been injured in the Rose Bowl too). I have an affiliation with Pacific Life, who sponsors the Holiday Bowl, and they couldnt get enough tickets for all the Cal fans requesting them, so dont say that the Cal fans wouldnt travel. They traveled to a second tier bowl when they felt they got screwed, so I cant imagine that it would have been much different for their first Rose Bowl in 45 years.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 PM

anyone in the top 4 of the BCS gets and automatic bid, hence tOSU getting in. Notre Dame is given an exemption from this, because they are a high profile team that is not in a conference. Pretty much everyone wins if ND is in a BCS bowl, except of course #5
Old 12-05-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oregon is #5 in the BCS and ND is #6, yet by getting #6 ND was "guaranteed" a spot in the BCS? And Oregon was not? I'm so confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Independent teams only need to reach #6 in the BCS to be gauranteed a spot. Teams in a conference needs at least 4th. I beleieve this is due to the fact that a independent team will play a tougher schedule (as ND usaully does). Oh and another reason the Fiesta Bowl commitee actaully wants people to watch the game. Even though Oregon is 10-1 or whatever I get the feeling they can't compete with tOSU. ND vs OSU is a much better matchup IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM

ND is at a disadavantage because they because they dont have a conference tie in to the BCS, so without their automatic berth for being #6 or higher, they would have to be #1 or #2 to get an automatic berth, which really wouldnt be fair.

But this ND over Oregon crap should just stop now. If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

Please note that I don't think ND is truely at a disadvantage because they will almost always get picked if they are elligible, but this is why they get automatically picked when they are #6 or higher.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ND is at a disadavantage

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[ QUOTE ]
If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM

It's actually not because ND isn't in a conference, it's that they are NOT in BCS conference. A top 6 team from a non-BCS conference gets an automatic bid. Hence the reason #6 Utah was in a BCS game last year and #5 Cal wasn't, which is basically the exact same situation as this year. So this might be a "Notre Dame Rule" but it benefits other teams as well.

Two years in a row a #6 team gets the auto bid while the #5 team didn't. Seems like a system that only something as idiotic as the BCS could come up with
Old 12-14-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's actually not because ND isn't in a conference, it's that they are NOT in BCS conference. A top 6 team from a non-BCS conference gets an automatic bid. Hence the reason #6 Utah was in a BCS game last year and #5 Cal wasn't, which is basically the exact same situation as this year. So this might be a "Notre Dame Rule" but it benefits other teams as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason it's called the Notre Dame rule is this provision: (from BCS FAQ)

[ QUOTE ]
At-large teams can earn guaranteed selection in the following ways (in order of preference):

1. Finish first or second in the BCS rankings.
2. Finish in the top six of the BCS standings as an independent team or team from a non-BCS conference. If a team besides Notre Dame qualifies in this manner, then the Irish would also automatically qualify by winning 9 non-exempt games or finishing in the top 10 in the BCS standings.
3. Be the highest rated at-large team remaining and finish either third or fourth in the BCS rankings. Only one team can automatically qualify under this provision.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words, if Notre Dame had 9 wins last year, they would have bumped Texas merely because Utah qualified.