Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2005, 01:39 AM

Default Re: An Observation about Intelligent Design

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
A few days after that he was in the mood for lions and tigers and bears.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh my [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 12:14 AM

I don't think intelligent design argues that the universe was created specifically for us, (though many of its proponents probably believe that), but just that it's too complex to have ended up this way without someone pulling the strings.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:19 AM

I didn't read every post here but all the ones i did read (excepting the one by the OP) are made by morons.

That's a pretty astute observation and, simple as it may be, something I've never thought of.

It makes no apparent sense for a god who created us (in his own image) to design a universe that takes several hundred lifetimes to go interesting places.

Maybe he didn't but so far as we know...
Old 07-04-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am admittedly not highly trained in these things, but I do have a question about what seems to me to be a piece of evidence which would contradict the idea of intelligent design.

It is my understanding that c, the speed of light, is the highest possible velocity that a physical particle can attain.

It is also my understanding that the common unit of long distances in astronomy is the light year.

Doesn't it seem like an extraordinary 'design flaw' that in something the size of our physical universe the highest possible speed is the speed of light?

Sorry if this is just an ignorant question, but if it is, hopefully there is a simple answer.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wormholes and extraspatial dimensions would be an efficient way of keeping humans out of places they shouldn't be poking their nose, while at the same time providing interstellar conduits for whatever uses necessary.

Go ahead and sentence me, because I am guilty of participating in metaphysical uttering! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2005, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a piece of evidence which would contradict the idea of intelligent design.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's called the human eyeball. Do a search on 2+2 I've discussed this more than I care to ever talk about it again.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:31 AM

Wacki, didn't you link to something awhile ago concerning teleportation at the atomic level. where basically the travel of something was instantanous?
Old 07-04-2005, 01:56 AM

I am surprised no one else pointed out that even though the maximum speed a particle can travel in any inertial frame is the speed of light, it is in fact possible to travel to any location in the universe in whatever proper time (the time you actually experience) you wish (some acceleration conditions will of course apply since you don't really want to be ripped to shreds by shear forces).

Since you don't have a working knowledge of space-time I will simply say in layman's terms that you can go anywhere you wish in as short a time as you wish to experience, but when you return the world would have aged much more than you expect assuming you travel quite far and quite fast (fast meaning some sensible fraction of c). This is why the end of Contact is retarded. The Earth should have aged faster than Jodie Foster, but she experienced more time.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:37 AM

Thanks cooker.

I don't completely understand your response yet, but it has certainly given me a direction to look in.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:26 PM

You would need to understand special relativity to really understand my point. A fairly good elementary text is Spacetime Physics by Taylor and Wheeler. The problem with most reasoning like this is that it blends Newtonian ideas with the special relativistic concept that the speed of light is constant in all frames and the maximum observable speed. Time and space actually transform into each other in SR such that the faster you travel, the shorter distances seem, thus you can reach places much quicker the closer to the speed of light you travel. In fact at the speed of light, you could instantly (as far as you are concerned) reach any place you like (but those you leave behind will see you move at the speed of light and take a long time to get there and return).
Old 07-05-2005, 08:20 AM

Thanks,

I will try to check out a copy this week.