Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Play a set of Cowboys with me ($33)

Unless the villain is someone who can't stop himself from betting anytime someone checks, I'm leading at the pot here. PF raise, ace on the flop, check looks suspicious, yada, yada, yada...

In fact, I like an overbet or pot sized bet here myself. You're prolly not getting action from many hands anyway, maybe if you just make a large value bet, it'll look suspicious to someone.

Plus, if someone is going to chase me with some sort of draw, I want to make my money NOW, on the flop. I really can't see a draw betting after you check here anyway (I know that I wouldn't, anyway.).
Old 09-14-2005, 02:25 PM

PF - perfect. Had the raise come from EP or included another limper...maybe a bit more. This is a perfect amount to spark Button's interest and remove SB.

Flop - your check looks a little suspicious to me. Even with a missed underpair (to the Ace), with your assertion PF, you are compelled to lead here (in his mind). I am checking behind here more times than not**.

Personally, I would look to lead a weak "c/b". Far more plausable a villian will accept it as such, and come over the top w/ a strong'ish Ace. Which I'd minraise, looking to jam the turn. [Smooth-calling the flop & c/r'ing or leading the turn is an option. But i'd think a decent player won't forget your PF raise - and play a little more gaurded at the turn].

---------

Your c/r? I do like the raise amount. You've extracted some chips...there IS a draw on board, take it down now, or look to get paid hansomely by an flush draw or Ace. HOWEVER...

**Regarding his small lead - looks like a very weak effort to test the waters with his Ace. Maybe even a King or mid-PP. Whatever it is it sucks (for him). Certainly not enough to declare any type of stand - and completely unwarranted if he's drawing to the flush.

So...if we read his weak-bet for something other than a flush draw - maybe we just call his weak bet. Hmmmmmm, interesting. Short of a one-sided straight draw, there really isn't a turn card that scares us. So we call.

The question now is what to do on the turn. I think we have to lead. His flop lead was just way to weak for us to reasonably expect him to dump more on the turn. I think we should lead 1/2-3/4 pot here (even w/ a heart, as now WE hold the nut flush draw). He could easily make this call still holding the hands we put him on at the flop.

River? Maybe get cute....."uncle...i give..."/check - raise, what he might feel is his opportunity-now-to-pick-up-this-pot lead
Old 09-14-2005, 02:36 PM

1) i'm not a fan...i bet the flop here...yes, i'm concerned about check-behind which gives the flush/straight draws a free card
2) he could have ax and since you checked he figures you don't have an ace
3) reraise is fine...but what do u do if another heart or q/j/t come out on the turn after he calls? are you gonna fold after investing 900 into this hand or are you gonna push/call push and go broke if he has flush/straight?...a push could be good here because you've netted 375 chips if he folds and if he calls your push, he made a mistake unless he has aa so you win in the long run

i think "win big pots early" could apply here with a 575 chip pot

i bet out 250ish on flop...
but after you checked, i reraise him all-in
Old 09-14-2005, 02:47 PM

Button limp/call there IMHO puts him on a range of something like Ax, Kxs, QQ+, suited connectors, QTs. Against this range, I hate checking. I bet 250, which offers none of the hands that are behind odds to call, and I think will induce a raise from a pretty good % of that range.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:50 PM

I don't disagree with others that you should bet the flop. I do disagree with those who say that you are betting the flop because of potential draws though. Hero has monster hand heads up. The only motivation should be how to build the pot so that when you win you win a lot. I think betting out here is the way to do that.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:31 PM

I'd make a continuation bet in this spot and hope to get called or, better, raised. A cont. bet looks very standard, and the button called a raise PF so he might have an A of some kind meaning he's likely not going anywhere on the flop at least. A check looks suspicious and I don't want to see a check-behind here though it wouldn't be disasterous.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:43 PM

I agree with a flop bet.

To add, I cannot see a single hand the villain would hold that would make me scared of a flush draw (A's on the board and you have the K)
Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) What are your thoughts with my check on this board? Any concerns about a check-behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop. Reraise all in if he raises.

[ QUOTE ]
2) What is your interpretation of the small bet by villain?

[/ QUOTE ]

My interpretation is that you got very lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
3) What do you think about the reraise? The pot is laying villain 2:1 odds. Am I pricing him in for anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

He would need about 15 outs to win on the next card to make a call correct here. I think the reraise was fine.

[ QUOTE ]
4) This hand is HU. Should I have any concerns about the flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Still have some, but less obviously.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with others that you should bet the flop. I do disagree with those who say that you are betting the flop because of potential draws though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ this also. As to someone having a heart draw - HERO has the K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is on the board!!!

The only drawing hands that would be scary are Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and if villain completely overplayed those hands and got lucky, I just load up another one.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:51 PM

1) What are your thoughts with my check on this board? Any concerns about a check-behind?

I'd make a continuation bet most of the time unless youre pretty sure villian is going to bet when you check.

2) What is your interpretation of the small bet by villain?

A small ace, a flush draw, possibly a K or a bluff. I dont think you can rule out a flush draw just because of the Ah is showing. Some people like suited cards, even when they arent aces.

3) What do you think about the reraise? The pot is laying villain 2:1 odds. Am I pricing him in for anything?

That's the amount I'd usually raise him - his bet plus the total of the pot. I dont think an all in bet would be a bad idea either - I'd just rather try to build the pot here. I think 2:1 is the perfect size to induce mistakes.

4) This hand is HU. Should I have any concerns about the flush draw?

Yes I think there is a chance he has two hearts. It might not be his most likely holding, but its a possibility. If he does have two hearts and hits his flush, you still have a lot of outs for a boat. I guess I'd be more aware of the possibilty of a flush than worried about it.