Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 10:13 PM

Default NL100 hand, flopped the nut straight and getting action

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster!

In this hand I call the initial bet on the flop hoping to get action and stay in line, then when the cutoff (unimaginative 40/2/.8, will coldcall raises with poor draws) raises, I immediately stick in more money, knowing that a set/two pair will definitely call. The original bettor is a tight player making a continuation bet and may have had none of the flop, so I feel that the raiser's cards are live and that he likes his hand. I raise here to build the pot and make his call on the turn automatic when it slides off as a blank.

Also of note, I can't get the bisonbison hand converter to work correctly in nice mode, so the plain text is below. Does anyone have suggestions on how to convert better?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

CO ($112.20)
Button ($92.50)
SB ($93.60)
BB ($143.64)
UTG ($91.50)
UTG+1 ($50.30)
UTG+2 ($195.45)
Hero ($108.35)
MP2 ($79.63)
MP3 ($79.03)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Jh, Kh. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
2 folds, UTG+2 calls $1, Hero calls $1, 2 folds, CO calls $1, 1 fold, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) Tc, Qd, 9s (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 bets $4, Hero calls $4, CO raises to $15, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to $50, CO calls $35.

Turn: ($109) 7d (2 players)
Hero goes all-in [$57.35].
CO calls $57.35.

River: ($166.35) 4s (2 players)

Final Pot: $166.35

Your comments are welcomed. Thanks a lot!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: NL100 hand, flopped the nut straight and getting action

I don't see anything wrong with how you played it, you have the nuts and you got a nice pot with it.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:50 PM

I might be tempted to call, and see if i can get it in as a bigger favorite on the turn, but really, you have a large edge over any other hand. push it.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:13 PM

raise the flop when the first bet comes to you, they will still call with a wide range of hands including straight draws and top pair. they will not lay down two pair and will raise a good percentage of the time with it. they raise with sets at an even greater frequency. you have an opportunity to stack them with a wide range of probable holdings. if you just call, if an 8, J or a K comes then your action is killed.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raise the flop when the first bet comes to you, they will still call with a wide range of hands including straight draws and top pair. they will not lay down two pair and will raise a good percentage of the time with it. they raise with sets at an even greater frequency. you have an opportunity to stack them with a wide range of probable holdings. if you just call, if an 8, J or a K comes then your action is killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, I like this line better than my original one. If they have two pair / a set / lower straight, they are going to call anyway or reraise me possibly, so it might be best to raise on the flop and create the action myself.

Bearing that in mind, how much do you think I should raise? To $11 or $12, maybe?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:42 PM

The only thing I could see you getting that much action from is J8 or maybe top set. If I were going to put money on it I would say J8, is that what he had? Oh and by the way I think you played the hand well.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only thing I could see you getting that much action from is J8 or maybe top set. If I were going to put money on it I would say J8, is that what he had? Oh and by the way I think you played the hand well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, possibly. Shrug, I think playing it either way is okay - he had top two pair here. Since villain is loose/bad and unimaginative, I can expect him to call a raise on the flop or even reraise me with two pair, so initially raising may be better.

Thanks for the comments!