Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Poker predictions spilling over into life?

Have any of you noticed that as you start to spend a larger portion of your poker game predicting your opponents actions, you start to do the same thing in real life? Its like we start to do some sort of "player modeling" in real world situations, noticing the little subtle clues that key in to what people are doing.

For instance, I have noticed that I NEVER do the hallway dance anymore. The hallway dance is that thing where you and another person walk up face to face, repeatedly veering the same way trying to get around each other. I'm starting to noticed myself realizing "He's going left", and sure enough, he goes left soon after that.

Another thing I've noticed is that I have half a clue of what bad drivers are trying to do. I live in the southern US. Anyone who's visited the south, KNOWS its home to the worst set of drivers throughout the US. Especially when you get into the suburbs, people start to disreguard lane lines, don't use blinkers, etc.

Has anyone else noticed their ability and tendency to predict people's actions increasing as they play more and more poker?
Old 05-28-2003, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Poker predictions spilling over into life?

successfull poker players are probably endowed somewhat with the ability to second guess other peoples actions. especially ones that lead with a clue. so poker does help you in real life.

but you are wrong about the worst drivers. first is the boston area, then seattle. unless you count montana after ten oclock at night. then only a fool with a death wish is on the road.