Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 11:08 AM

Default Borg 5/10 - Top Two

Villain is on my immediate left and is loose and aggressive. Loves to see flops and plays all his made hands and draws super aggressively. Just a few hands prior to the subject hand he made a big raise on the turn to win a $600 pot. He loves to advertise his bluffs and showed the table his weak flush draw (6h, 8h). His opponent grumbled something about having top pair.

I've been on a very nice rush the last 2-3 hours and have villain slightly covered (call it ~$3K to his ~$2.5K). He verbally acknowledged the rush I've been on and stated he is dying to mix it up with me.

So, UTG (~$1200) makes a standard raise to $30. Folds to me in CO with 6d, 7d and I call. Villain calls. Blinds fold.

Flop:

3s, 6c, 7c ($105)

UTG bets $80; I raise to $250; villain raises to $1000; UTG folds. What now?
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Borg 5/10 - Top Two

Fold.
If you want to carry on with the hand then you've got to put your stack in now.

I think you are far behind to a set or straight. Although clearly as you describe villain he might just be on the flush draw, but I don't think its worth putting in 2.5k to find out.

Villain must realise you will have a set here a large percentage so I don't think he's being crazy this time.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM

most times you have to go broke. but he could be the kind of guy who is aggressively selling you an image. the kind of guy who says he's gonna mix it up with you but really is waiting to get the nuts against you because you think he's crazy. against that guy you can make a tough laydown because he has you crushed. but there are enough of the actually crazy guys that if you can't tell the difference you're probably going to have to go broke.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:24 AM

In my experience, guys who show bluffs generally want to use it against you at some point. Given his comment about wanting to get into a big hand with you, I would think that the odds are not there for you to call. Be patient, he will give you the opportunity to bust him later.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:00 PM

either push, or push on a non suited turn face card.... based on what youve said u cant fold against this guy in this situation
Old 08-21-2005, 12:09 PM

I don't really like putting 1/3 of my stack in on the flop with the intention of folding on many turn cards...
Old 08-21-2005, 01:41 PM

You should be pretty confident in your hand at this point.

If you can't smell out a big overpair - KK maybe with the K of clubs, you have no choice but to call here.

The only think you're worried about is pocket 3s, the odds of him holding 66 or 77 are so low at this point considering you hold one of each.

I push and hope he doesn't spike a set by the river or runner runner clubs...but you definitely are ahead here,
Old 08-21-2005, 01:48 PM

Time to get it all in.

Jeff
Old 08-21-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Results: Borg 5/10 - Top Two

I'm usually able to make decisions and act pretty quickly. But I agonized over this one. This guy was SOOOO loose. I was very tempted to push all in and put him to the test. Ultimately, I decided that with only $280 invested in the hand, and only 4 outs to improve if I was behind, I didn't want to gamble. Calling on the flop wasn't an option with decisions on two streets to come. It was either push or fold.

I finally said, "I'm pretty sure I'm mucking the best hand but go ahead and take it down. Nice hand. I fold." I mucked face up. He said, "sometimes I do have a hand" and showed me a monster. The 4c,5c for a made straight and an open ended straight flush draw. What a close call.

The guy really is a complete maniac though.

About 15 hands later, he got involved with a guy who flopped a straight. They managed to get all their money in on the flop. The maniac had the nut flush draw and hit the Kc he needed on the river to make his flush and bust his opponent for about $1000. The guy who lost slammed his hand on the table and made the "how could you call with that?" comment and stormed out.

Then, about a half hour later, maniac comes into a raised pot with Q8 and makes bottom pair on a rainbow, uncoordinated flop. The preflop raiser bets the pot and maniac calls. Turn comes another 8. PF raiser makes another pot size bet; maniac pushes; PF raiser makes a questionable call with AA. Maniac's overly loose play up to this point surely induced the call. Maniac's set holds up after the river is dealt and he took $1500 from that guy.

After watching my stack dwindle to about $2200 and manic's grow to nearly $6K, I decided it was time to leave.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Results: Borg 5/10 - Top Two

Never, ever, ever show your hand face up, espescially when you make a moderately big laydown.

Jeff