Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 AM

Default Folding Nut Flush to Turned SF? 5/10

woof.

SB is good, has called me a "LAG" before. he is maybe 20/9 and plays good postflop in the 2000 or so hands we've played. he also does know that this is my first time playing this high and has taken a few shots at me in the past, but nothing ridiculous or out of likely +EV range.

two ep's limp, I (1.75K) call on co with A5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], sb (covers) and bb come along too.

7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (50)

sb leads for 50, folded to me, I make it $200, he calls

8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (450)

sb pushes, it's about 1500 to me.

i can see a good player making a move like this with a set to try and blow me off the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (which i'd play like this) but it seems pretty reckless given the possibility of drawing dead.

easy fold? easy call? bueller?

fim
Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Folding Nut Flush to Turned SF? 5/10

If SB is a half-way reasonable player, I muck this every day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

I just don't get the impression from your post that this guy has balls big enough to make this bet without actually having it.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:11 AM

I'd expect someone with the SF to checkraise all-in here, so his push is a bit weird. Still, I don't think you can really call this.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:58 PM

You told him you really liked your hand by raising on the flop.

If he's holding the SF, isn't the best play for him to check the turn inducing you to put more money in the middle and then pushing? Given your flop play, I can't imagine playing a made SF from the SB any other way.

I'd definately call under these circumstances.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he's holding the SF, isn't the best play for him to check the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm....
Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he's holding the SF, isn't the best play for him to check the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm....

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lose a lot of money thinking "why would he bet so much if he didn't want me to call?" Generally this kind of thought is only useful in cases where you haven't shown too much interest in the hand, but when you've put in a raise on the flop to show you like your hand, villain's huge bet is far less likely to be a bluff. As Worst Player so eloquently put it, the reason he would bet so much is that players often will think like y <font color="white"> </font> ou just did and pay him off.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (450)

sb pushes, it's about 1500 to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of people have mentioned that they would c/r the turn if they had the straight flush.

I think that's silly. If the straight flush checks, why the hell would the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] bet this turn? You're not going to extract any value from a worse hand, and you're not going to make a better hand fold -- so if sf checks, A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] checks behind.

Also important is the fact that all you did was call preflop, and then put in a raise in position on the flop. Especially if he calls you a LAG, he must be thinking that you could have made this raise with more than just the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]... and he'd have to worry about you having a made flush on the flop that contains a jack, or a flopped straight with the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or a good draw that contains the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. He shows none of this fear.

It seems far more probable to me that he would make this play with the J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] than with any other two cards.

Question: if you agree with me and think this is a fold, what do you do with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in your hand?
Old 07-25-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Question: if you agree with me and think this is a fold, what do you do with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

vomit on my keyboard, go broke and cry.

fim
Old 07-25-2005, 07:12 PM

I agree that the most likely hand is J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and you'll see it way more often than the pot odds given to you.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:23 PM

I don't see how having the 6 of spades changes anything. He's not pushing with the 6 anyway, either you're up against the J or you're not.

This seems like a very clear fold to me. If he had the J, how could he expect to get any value out of the hand unless you make a heroic call on his overbet?