Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Any rule on mucking 1 card only?

[ QUOTE ]

Example: Let's say you try to steal the blinds with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the BB ends up calling.

Board is K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets into you on the river, your ace alone gives you the nuts... would it be legal to say "I call" place your chips out to call flip over the ace and then muck the other card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps instead of coming up with bizarre angles to shoot, you may want to examine your game and figure out why you are smooth calling a bet on the river with the nuts.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:50 PM

It's really quite simple. If you get to the showdown and believe you have the best hand, table it immediately.

To do otherwise makes you an unmitigated tool unworthy of any pot.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:51 PM

You MUST show both cards to win the pot in every card room I've played at in A.C.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM

Obviously the OP is implying that we're talking about hold'em, but FWIW, I believe general poker rules require showing a full hand for the game in question. So for example, in Omaha high, you never play more than two of your four cards, but you must show them all. (I've only played O8 in a cardroom, but I believe this to be true for OH as well.)

The only exception is, I seem to recall a thread about an arcane way to play the board by saying "I play the board". In this case I inferred that you could toss your hole cards into the muck, but I haven't confirmed this rule to be in effect in any cardrooms I've visited.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only exception is, I seem to recall a thread about an arcane way to play the board by saying "I play the board". In this case I inferred that you could toss your hole cards into the muck, but I haven't confirmed this rule to be in effect in any cardrooms I've visited.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get away with the "I play the board" routine if your opponent is
happily chopping with you, although they do have the right to see your
hand...and so do the cameras (no fouled hands, etc.) so DON'T MUCK
and assume anything.

[ QUOTE ]
...one card in your drink

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

-ZEN
Old 11-30-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Next time you think up some "how cool can I be" move, remember this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you see this as a "how cool can I be?" move? The 3 doesn't play, so who cares?

However, if I was at the table and in the pot, I'd want to see the whole hand that I "paid" to see, so both cards should be turned over IMO.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:40 PM

I love how everyone gets so bent out of shape about a hypothetical question/situation.

Obviously I would never do something so retarded in fear that it would cost me the pot, but alot of people have done weirded/worse crap than this.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:41 PM

Along those lines...

I was on the button and of course dinner comes. I look at my first card the A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I am dealing with the waiter and action is on me, I know from listening that everyone folded to me so I call, SB completes and BB checks.

Flop comes and it is AA3, check, check, I bet, SB calls, BB folds. Turn is a T, check, bet, call. River 6, check, bet, "hey you only have one card! FLOOR!"

Floor is called, hand is ruled live since significant action took place before anyone noticed I only had one card, I take the pot with one card...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

The rule in my room is that you have to show 2 cards to have any rights to the pot.

b
Old 12-01-2005, 12:18 AM

At some point, were you planning to look at your other card? Shouldn't you have done something before the river bet?

Granted, I'm surprised you were allowed to play with one card given what I keep hearing in this forum about those hands. Maybe not mentioning it made it more likely you could play [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Angler. j/k