Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Live hand for review

Live 5-150 spread limit game, have about $800 behind. Villian in the BB has me covered. He is a regular at the 75/150 limit and is considered a good player by the people he plays with and the dealers. To date he has only shown down the nuts and only has pumped the pot when he had the nuts.

PF: Folds to me on the button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and raise to 25, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], SB checks, BB bets 15 (!?!?), I raise to 50, SB folds, BB smooth calls.

Turn: 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB bets 50, I raise 150, BB quickly calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], BB bets 50, I RR 150, he RR 150...
Old 07-15-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Live hand for review

Is this the easiest call in the universe or am I missing something? You can't raise again on the river against a player who only pumps pots with and shows down the nuts but you certainly can't fold.

Now, what to put him on: It's kind of hard for him to have KX of diamonds here because the Ace is on the board and you have both the Queen and the Jack. Still, he could be defending against your steal with K9 of diamonds or something similar. However, the villain played this in a way that suggests he was waiting for a "safe" river. Maybe he doesn't want to see another diamond fall and kill his 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or maybe he fears the board pairing. Either he's got a flush or he's not a very good player, after all. The thing you have to figure out is, does he have the flush. Although it's pretty hard for him to have the flush here, I think my first paragraph still stands: raising is a bad idea and folding is out of the question.

If you had used the word "nuts" just a little less often in describing this opponent, you could consider other actions but as it is, I think a call is the only sane choice.

SpaceAce
Old 07-15-2005, 11:45 AM

Villian's flop play, and especially his turn play, tells me he really likes his hand and he's not going away. I hate your river re-raise.

But, since you did re-raise, you can't possibly muck at thiss point.

Kd 10d?
Old 07-15-2005, 11:53 AM

consider your pot odds and see how often you have to be right to make this call a correct one. it seems rather weak to fold second nuts to river reraise, but this kind of betting line just screams 'nuts'. especially given your description of the villan.

lay it down and gain the emotional victory [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Easy river re-raise. It's pretty clear: if BB is a good player and had the nuts, you would have heard from him in earlier streets.

Other evidence: Is BB is a solid player? Is he calling with Kx[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] out of position? The best he could have is K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and then the other hands don't make much sense.

So I would re-raise him on the river and call him if he re-raises again.

Garland
Old 07-15-2005, 12:37 PM

Easy call.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:03 PM

If I was playing the hand, I would have just called the river, expecting to see the nuts some of the time (also because I can get a little weak-tight with all the chips flying). One reason why the reraising is good is because villain may have refused to put you on anything other than AxKd, AxQd, AxJd, believing his little flush is good. Perhaps he's got 2 pair or a set and was planning to slow down if another diamond hit. However, he must be very stubborn thinking he is ahead by the river after all the action that had transpired in the hand. That's why I can't understand why he is continuing with the raising without the nuts. Interesting hand.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:09 PM

I am glad we all agree it is an easy call.

Yes he is solid. No doubt about that. Also keep in mind, in his mind he is playing down limit from his normal game... and I have a squeeky tight table image and only show aggression with a monster.

I was more concerned with a RR 150 here. I see one reply saying to pop it again for another RR. And that is really what has given me pause. Rather I pop it again and he if pops it again then what...

Anyone RR 150 on this play? Call another RR 150 or pop it again? We are HU here and this could go to the felt.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:15 PM

Thanks Garland, didnt see your reply before my reply, [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

That was my many concern. Rather to pop it again and to continue to pop it if he played back or not.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Live hand for review - results

I pussed out and just called the 150 RR. He showed down 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Then went on to bitch himself out for about 3 mins about his bad play, thinking I was putting a move on him for the pot.

We talked about the hand later at the cashier window...

His thinking was that I was folded to on the button, had a overly tight image and was just raising from position to take the blinds or the pot on the flop. He did not put me on a big hand and when I RR him on the flop it just reenforced his thinking that I was making a play, when he had just found gold on the flop for his blind defense. So his thinking is that I am making a play, likely have an ace or two pair and that my RR on the flop and turn are just agro play.

Without the 4th diamond on the river he is figuring more times than not he is good with the baby/mid flush and wanted to extract as much as he could from me.

I asked him if he folds, calls or RR me back if I pop it again, he calls.

I think he was being pretty straight with me, after all he rarely plays my game, it was just a one off thing while waiting for a seat in the 75/150 game.