Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Party 2/4 - K4o in CO after posting

I post in CO. MP3 also posts. $7 in the pot before cards are dealt. I'm dealt K4o. Action: Fold, Raise (This player is a multitabler who I've played against before... 25%/15% Aggressive and somewhat loose player who seems to be having a good day at this table with over $250 in her stack.), Fold, Call, Fold, Call... Getting 17:2 odds, I call, Fold, Call, Call. 6 to the flop with $24 in the pot. Flop is 347 rainbow. SB and BB check, initial raiser bets. MP1 calls, MP3 (poster) folds, I call, SB calls, BB calls. $31 after rake in pot. Turn is 6, putting 2 diamonds on board. Blinds check, Raiser bets, MP1 calls, I raise, blinds fold, raiser thinks a LONG time before calling, MP1 calls. Pot is now $55. River is a 9, no diamond. Raiser bets, MP1 goes into the tank and calls, I call getting over 15:1.

Please comment on the whole hand, not just the fact that the preflop call was bad (if that is your opinion). Also, please explain why you think what you do. Below are my thoughts on the hand as it played out:

Preflop I was getting 17:2 to call, plus I'm in position. Add to that the fact that, if a 4 hits, I can have AK or KQ reverse dominated and have huge implied odds. If I don't hit, I've lost one small bet. I think a call is all upside for $2, so I call. Flop is really nice for me, although any pocket pair has me beat. Again, with big odds on the flop, I call $2 with possibly the best hand, but also with up to 5 outs if I don't. When there are so many callers, I am concerned that I am beat against a pocket pair or A7. The turn is an interesting card. If I was ahead to start off, I'm still ahead now. With the straight out there, I have to assume that I can push out any pocket pairs or a pair of 6s or 7s with a raise, saying I have a 5. When the initial raiser calls, I put him on a big suited Ace of diamonds. MP1's call means I've probably lost the hand, as he has to have something. River is a non diamond, and all I can really hope for is no one hit that 9 and they both were on flush draws. I have to believe I win this 1 time in 15, so I call. I know I played this hand poorly, so I'm hoping people can shed light on each street about where I went wrong.

As always, thanks in advance for any input with the reasoning behind it you have.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Party 2/4 - K4o in CO after posting

I think your turn raise is extremely ambitious.

The problem is relative position. If you were acting immediately after the bettor you could conceivably shut out the rest of the field and make it hard for a hand like A7 to call. But you don't have that luxury; there is a player between you and the bettor (MP1). While the bettor might fold sometimes, MP1 is almost never folding here.

So basically you are never winning this hand right there. So, to win the pot, you need the following parlay:

1. The bettor doesn't have a pair or will fold a pair.

2. MP1 is still drawing (he's not likely to fold the river to one bet once he gets there). Note MP1 may well be slowplaying a 5 or playing two pair carefully because of the straight.

3. Both players miss on the river.

It may well be that you are dodging something like 17 cards on the river even when ahead.

I'm folding this turn without thinking about it too much, actually.

The pre-flop call is fine. The river call is really, really thin in my opinion.