Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2005, 07:57 AM

Default AlienWare

Does anyone have any experience with them? I love their boxes, both what's on the outside and inside, and it looked like they offered great customer support. But I have only heard negative things, i.e. their support is similiar to that of PartyPoker. Please include any positive or negative comments. Thanks,

-Brian
Old 04-01-2005, 08:03 AM

Default Re: AlienWare

I have a buddy that bought one and he something major go wrong with it. (cant remember what) He had TONS of trouble with support and I think it took him nearly a month just to get them to allow him to send it back to be fixed or replaced or whatever they did.

IMO not worth it at all.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:13 AM

They are truly great computers, don't know about support issues though.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Although I love their rigs, you can easily get a much cheaper computer with the same components for much cheaper (I'm talking a grand here). I bought my computer from some site advertising in PC Gamer (Cyberpower, I think) and I'm as happy, if not happier, with it. I had 2 Alienwares before this computer.

Seriously, Alienwares are hot, but be practical.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:32 AM

Hi Macdaddy,

The cost is practical for me, as long as they have good customer support for computer illiterates such as myself, and as long as the system is high-end and can support a 6-monitor display for lots of poker tables, as well as run high-end games like Doom 3 and World of WarCraft. So do you think AlienWare isn't for me?

I see that you said you had 2 AlienWares before your current PC. I'd love to get input from someone who has had AlienWare previously about the level of quality of their customer service, which is one of the two main deciding factors for me. Or did you not ever have to call customer service? Thanks,

-Brian
Old 04-01-2005, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Macdaddy,

The cost is practical for me, as long as they have good customer support for computer illiterates such as myself, and as long as the system is high-end and can support a 6-monitor display for lots of poker tables, as well as run high-end games like Doom 3 and World of WarCraft. So do you think AlienWare isn't for me?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not into building your own rig and want a prebuilt, buy one of the higher end Dell gaming/multimedia systems. It will have more than enough horsepower to do whatever you want, for about 1/3 less than an Alienware box. Their tech support is very good.

Yeah you'll hear some horror stories just like with any company. If 0.5% of their customers have a bad experience, that is dozens a day, nobody's perfect. But they are better than most.

If money is no object and you are into the sexy cases and all, go for Alienware, they are good rigs, just overpriced, IMO.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:38 PM

What a goddamn waste of money. I don't care how computer illiterate you are, pretty much every site out there has a how-to a quadriplegic ape could follow to put together your own box.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:55 PM

With AlienWare you're paying for a name and some green paint, and that's about it.

Their stuff is overpriced for what you're getting and I've heard numerous horror stories about their support. If you really want to get a "gamer's rig" then look at either Falcon Northwest or one of the higher end Dell boxes.

Side Note: anyone else find it strange that Dell seems to be able to find so many Indian people with names like Joe, Steve, and Mary [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM

Hi Brian,

I told you before I like Alienware, though I've only had limited experience w/ their customer service, and not for anything major. The experiences I have had with them has been alright though.

Dell has some great systems for the money, but I really can't stand their customer support. I have called them on numerous occasions, and each time that my problem is something major, I get passed around like the town whore at least twice, and have to re-explain all my issues and system configurations. I could just be one of the .5% though.

Falcon Northwest comes just about as highly recommended as Alienware in terms of performance, but I have never had any personal experience with their Rigs or CS.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:18 PM

I have an alienware. I hate how big and heavy the actual cpu is, but I guess that isn't relevant for most people.

I never called support, but I dealt with them through email, and they were pretty helpful. Although I do think I was having a problem that I should not be having given how much I paid for this. Other than that one extremely annoying problem, I am very happy with my Alienware.