Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-09-2005, 03:46 AM

Default ($55) A little lost on this QK

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 (t1935)
CO (t785)
Button (t1105)
Hero (t1855)
BB (t1015)
UTG (t1585)
MP1 (t1720)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t100, Hero calls t75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t350) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t135</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t270</font>, Hero calls t270, MP2 calls t135.

Turn: (t1160) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t365</font>, Button calls t365, Hero calls t365.

River: (t2255) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t250</font>, MP2 calls t250, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t370 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t120, MP2 calls t120.

Final Pot: t3365

I figured MP2 for sure didnt have AK, so I'd throw in a CR on the flop, but then button raised before I could, and I turned into a pussy calling station. Was this call okay? Is the blocking bet on the river appropriate? What's your line?
Old 12-09-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: ($55) A little lost on this QK

Call me weak-tight, but I think I'm folding PF. I just don't feel like calling to play a hand OOP that is tricky even when you do hit TP.

Since you didn't... I think you have to fold to Button's flop raise. It's too soon to get into a very, very marginal spot like this.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:59 AM

I would have folded pf and the flop

and what are you thinking on the turn?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would have folded pf and the flop

and what are you thinking on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]
I wasn't.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:42 AM

If your read was that MP2 definitely didn't have AK, what did you put him on that made you want to c/r the flop?

I fold pf and on the flop as well.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I figured MP2 for sure didnt have AK, so I'd throw in a CR on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]
Ideally he WOULD have AK, so he'll CB and you pwn him and take the pot right there. What hands does he raise preflop and then bet the flop that you beat? Probably around the same number of hands that beat you...but it'll be an expensive endeavor to figure out which he has.

[ QUOTE ]
then button raised before I could, and I turned into a pussy calling station. Was this call okay?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. This is a draw heavy board, and you absolutely must protect your hand if you want to play. Decide if you're good or not, and then raise all-in or fold based on that. As a basic guideline, when I have no info as to where I stand and I have two opponents showing aggression, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

[ QUOTE ]
Is the blocking bet on the river appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, and I think the previous action should make this clear. MP2 took control preflop. Button took it from him on the flop. Then MP2 decided to take it back on the turn. Meanwhile, you're stuck in the middle with no clue what's going on. With this power struggle occurring around you, do you really think you can step in with a weak hand on the river and it won't get raised? Fat chance.

Last, I think you need to recognize early on when it's going to be bad for you to continue in the hand. When the lead changes three times on three streets, that ought to be a huge warning signal that choppy waters lie ahead, and you'll need to really like your hand to continue.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:01 AM

Like everyone else said: Fold preflop.
Fold the flop also.

If I'd misclicked and called preflop, I'd also check-raise against MP2, but button's minraise (or call) makes me to say "I'll get me coat".
If you're not familiar to British humour, that means it's time to go.

Fold the turn also. Third spade hit and button calls half of his stack. He has you beat.
Yes, his flop minraise was weird if he had a flush draw, but at this point I'm convinced that you're behind 'em both and quite often drawing dead with your Q high flush draw.

Besides I don't know how did you figure that MP2 didn't have AsKs? Without reads it's looks possible that he miraised preflop with AKs (or ATs), put a small cont. bet on the flop to drive you out if you didn't hit anything, has to call for the odds and underbets his nut flush on the turn to keep you in.

Poorly played set is also possible for both players.

Your flush didn't hit, you're behind and you should check/fold the river.

NP: Illdisposed - Reversed
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM

I'd fold preflop. Had I been on the button with KQ I'd call if I wasn't busy elsewhere.

I'd fold the flop.

I'd probably fold the turn, but having gone this far I might just continue like you did.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:02 AM

this is a wacky hand all around, it doesnt appear to me that anyone had a plan. what hands are you really worried about on the flop? AQ, JJ, QQ, 55 and AsKs. with a min raiser PF and no reraisers most of these are iffy holdings. AQ is probably the most likely with 55 also. anything else and you are in good shape. MP2 makes a small bet and gets minraised. he could have a number of hands including an outright steal that is now priced in. what does the raiser have? he minraised. a very strong hand here likely flat calls. one of these guys likely has a draw. so you have to either fold (expecting AQ or 55 or another hand)or raise on the flop here I think.

Pat
Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 AM

This is just awful. Very few people play well enough to show a profit cold calling with a trap hand like KQ OOP against a raiser and a caller. Fold preflop and save yourself a lot of grief.

Checking the flop is debatable. Calling for 270 after the bet and the raise however is just horrible IMO.

The rest of it just looks like more donating to me.