Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Going deaf... who else?

I have this really random fluttering in my right ear that drives me nuts when it comes around. Nothing triggers it, it just decides to happen.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all i know i bet astro will get a decent laugh out of this one

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew you'd comment on my behalf! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.startribune.com/789/story/150546.html !

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, headphones don't cause hearing damage- loud music does. Personally, I don't listen to music louder than 85dB, regardless of the conduit. I will agree, however, that most young people just crank it up, but 110dB from a home stereo system is worse than 65dB from headphones; it's all in the volume settings. Use your music wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

85dB is too loud. Even 65dB w/ headphones is too loud. W/ headphones, the noise is going directly into the canal so it's more concentrated. (air acts as an insulator) If you have headphones on, and someone has to raise their voice to get your attention, you have the music on higher than it should be.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all i know i bet astro will get a decent laugh out of this one

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew you'd comment on my behalf! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

http://www.startribune.com/789/story/150546.html !

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, headphones don't cause hearing damage- loud music does. Personally, I don't listen to music louder than 85dB, regardless of the conduit. I will agree, however, that most young people just crank it up, but 110dB from a home stereo system is worse than 65dB from headphones; it's all in the volume settings. Use your music wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

85dB is too loud. Even 65dB w/ headphones is too loud. W/ headphones, the noise is going directly into the canal so it's more concentrated. (air acts as an insulator) If you have headphones on, and someone has to raise their voice to get your attention, you have the music on higher than it should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I never listen above 85dB, which doesn't mean I listen to only 85dB. Plus, 85dB isn't too loud (hearing loss starts to occur at around 95dB with sustained exposure).

As far as 65dB goes, I'm not talking about 65dB from the earphone and then cramming it into your ear. I'm talking about 65dB total exposure in your ear. 65dB is normal talking conversation. Surely you can put on headphones and judge what normal conversation level is.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have this really random fluttering in my right ear that drives me nuts when it comes around. Nothing triggers it, it just decides to happen.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I get that once in a while. I think it's high blood pressure or has something to do with it, because it tends to hit when I can feel a lot of pressure in my head.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:23 PM

Actually headphones are a big cause of hearing damage supposedly, because people tend to crank it when wearing them, and don't realize how bad that's hitting their ears.

My guess is that part of the reason it's so natural to really crank your music when you have earphones/headphones on is because unlike hearing music normally, there's a tendency to find sounds besides the music less acceptable, so we crank it high enough to hear only the music, or just hear very little else. You don't need that same volume to feel like it's loud enough without headphones, because youi don't except the music to completely coccoon you and block out the world. So we crank it to envelop ourselves in our own little music world.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I said I never listen above 85dB, which doesn't mean I listen to only 85dB. Plus, 85dB isn't too loud (hearing loss starts to occur at around 95dB with sustained exposure).

As far as 65dB goes, I'm not talking about 65dB from the earphone and then cramming it into your ear. I'm talking about 65dB total exposure in your ear. 65dB is normal talking conversation. Surely you can put on headphones and judge what normal conversation level is.

[/ QUOTE ]

anything over 85db is pretty loud. every 3 dbspl is actually doubling the loudness (3 db less is 1/2ing it). db is non-linear

if your ears are ringing, you have attained some (possibly very little) permanent hearing damage. The ringing sound is cause by the stereocilia in your ear trying to repair itself.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:30 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

nope. it just happened to be the top story on slashdot at the time i made the post.