Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-26-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Buying a Big Screen

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious about people getting expensive t.v.'s/video set-ups one year and then upgrading the next. I just seems like an astounding amount of money to tear through. What do you do with the old sets, move them to another room? Or take a thousand dollar bath on them or whatever by selling them?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, I bought the 42" a year ago, with no extended warranty, for $2300. I sold the 42" when I bought the 55" for $1400, and the 55" TV would have been just over $2000 to purchase without the 5 year warranty. So I spent $600+ to upgrade my TV, and an additional $400 to get an extended warranty. If I hadn't been able to sell the old TV for such a good price (my friends all loved it and wanted it), I wouldn't have been able to justify the new model.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:16 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

sales tax is notable on multi-thousand dollar purchases
Old 12-26-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I personally would not be wary of plasma burn. It's not very common and the picture on a plasma is like 5x as good as an LCD. Burn-in is like an LCD fanboy's wet dream. Can it happen? yes. Does it happen in real world applications? No. Think how many CRT monitors you have seen with burn-in compared to how many without. A 50" LCD would cost more and have a worse picture than a plasma. I recommend a Panasonic plasma, but other good brands are pioneer and Zenith. And yes, cnet is your friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with this entire post. especially the part about the panasonic plasma.

[/ QUOTE ]

here here.

i bought a 42" panasonic plasma a few months ago and have loved everything about it.

i picked up teh th-42px50u (i think that's the right string of stuff, it's the 42", hd, non-silly one).

when i looked at the aquos next to the panasonic, it was the clear winner. when i looked at hte panasonic next to the philips, clear winner, next to the sony clear winner.

do the reading, but when it comes down to it, what looks good and feels good to you is important too. find a store where you can look at a bunch of models, from a decent distance away with clear sight lines, and from up close. don't be fooled by promo crap they sometimes play through them to make them look good. it's like diamonds on black velvet.

avsforums = good. your own shopping = more important.

c
Old 12-26-2005, 10:57 PM

We put up a 55 inch Fujitsu plasma about 3 mos ago. It was expensive but worth it. Highly recommended.