Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 02:24 AM

Default We all have two hands. Even this thread!

My thread names are spectacular. Anyway...

Here's a few hands, short and sweet, just to see touch up on a few basic ideas and opinions.

First one: How is the complete preflop? The bet is a no brainer, there are too many draws out there. What about the call?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+1 (t6401)
MP1 (t7431)
<font color="#C00000">MP2 (t12214)</font>
MP3 (t10620)
CO (t4090)
Button (t10899)
<font color="#C00000">gobbo (t8730)</font>
BB (t7137)
UTG (t12632)

Preflop: gobbo is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t200, MP2 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, gobbo completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t1000) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">gobbo bets t800</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t12014</font>, CO folds, gobbo pukes and..?

And the second one, just how good is the call preflop? Does anyone reraise? Fold? Is this the flop I was looking for? You decide.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t5551)
SB (t6981)
BB (t12464)
<font color="#C00000">UTG (t11495)</font>
UTG+1 (t5065)
MP1 (t10849)
<font color="#C00000">gobbo (t8980)</font>
MP3 (t6687)
CO (t12082)

Preflop: gobbo is MP2 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, gobbo calls t600, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls t600, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (t2000) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t1600</font>, gobbo..?
Old 11-24-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: We all have two hands. Even this thread!

1) I don't think there were enough limpers to call with a weak off suit queen. qxo should be mucked unless it's a family pot and you're in the CO or Button. you're going to be in EP the remaining rounds. Yes, you're getting about 7-1 on your call, but the BB could raise pre-flop. If you call with fecal matter in the SB you're basically paying two BBs per round instead of 1-1/2.

If you're going to play the Q7, this is the flop you were looking for. But you could still be behind to somebody who limped with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or Q9; sets are unlikely. AQ is unlikely but KQ or QJ are possible. There always a a chance of a complete air bluff. If you fold there's 7700 in your stack, plenty for these levels. If you call and win, he doubles you up into the chip lead. My guess is, he has a lot of outs and he'd rather take the pot right now than find out if he makes his draw (or he has complete air). Either way, this was a donkey move on his part. Even if you're ahead right now, he probably has a lot of outs. I would fold.

On the second one i think the pre-flop call is OK. The UTG is probably going to continuation bet no matter what. You've hit the flop. But UTG may have an overpair or (less likely) a set, or overcards (ie AKo). Raise to 4800 to see where you're at.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:04 AM

Hand 1 is fine. If you folded, I will put you on "ignore user".

Hand 2: I'm ok with the call PF, but what is your plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:04 AM

hand1. easy fold preflop and easy call of the allin on the flop.

hand2. preflop is a fold for me... since you decided to call, i suppose you should be moving in here. if the guy is so tight that this isnt an auto-push, youre PF play is quite horrible.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:18 AM

Hand 1 is fine... call.

Hand 2 depends a lot on if UTG knows he UTG. At my stakes, I'm calling or reraising here. If he knows he's UTG though, his range should be AQs, AKo, TT-AA, so you should fold.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2 depends a lot on if UTG knows he UTG.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well put.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 PM

Hand 1 - I think he has a lot of draws and would like to take the pot right now. My decision would depend on how he's been acting lately, especially whether or not he's been making this type of move before. I would likely call if he's made similar pushes earlier.

Hand 2 - I would have folded preflop, depending on his image to this point. If he's been playing lots of hands, I might call his push, since this is the type of flop you were looking for.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:04 PM

as someone said early, hand 1 is a fold preflop for me and a very easy call on the flop (there are a million draws he could be pushing with at this point, as well as TPGK, etc).

the second one, my calling preflop would absolutely 100% depend on the player who raised. so i can't say, barring a read. if i called, it would be because i thought of the player as loose, and on a less draw-heavy board would call and let him keep putting his chips in the pot. since there are a fair few turn cards i don't want to see, i'm just sticking all my chips in and hoping he doesn't have an overpair.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there were enough limpers to call with a weak off suit queen. qxo should be mucked unless it's a family pot and you're in the CO or Button.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you limp Qxo from LP? Does that mean if theres a few limpers you limp it Q6o on the button? thats pretty horrible if you ask me.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Hand 1...I'm not folding any hand in the SB without a raise in front of me. On the flop, I have no idea why you're puking. I'm calling with a smile on my face.

Hand 2...Unless the guy was raising light from early position previously, your prelop call is questionable. If you make that preflop call, you better believe your AQ is good on that flop. If you're questioning whether AQ is good postflop, you probably didn't have any business seeing a flop. After UTG fires again, your decision should be between calling and pushing. Both have their merits...my first instinct was to flat call, but I think the push is probably better.

Please don't raise most of your stack in to "find out where you're at". Hohohoho.