Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 02:57 AM

Default \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

I'm really glad that this is going to be made. I didn't want my last memory of the Rocky series to be of "Rocky V". The only thing that would have made this better is if they simply called it "Rocky V" as if it never existed. I was surprised to read how good the box office was on the first four movies.

---------------------------------------

Updated: 05:42 PM EDT
Stallone Getting Back in Ring for Sixth 'Rocky'

LOS ANGELES (Oct. 17) - Sylvester Stallone is signing on to reprise his role as boxer Rocky Balboa in the sixth installment of the long-running film series, which he wrote and will direct.

The film, titled "Rocky Balboa," will be co-produced and co-financed by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Columbia Pictures and Revolution Studios and will be distributed by Columbia Pictures.

Stallone has been trying to make a sixth movie for years and has been reworking a script. The latest version, which sources said is similar to the tone and grit of the first two movies, persuaded the studios to negotiate a deal.

"In many ways, the screenplay really took me back to the original 'Rocky,"' Revolution Studios founder Joe Roth said in a statement. "As a past champion, Rocky Balboa is once again a regular guy who has to find himself and deal with real life. This film brings Rocky's story full circle."

In the new installment, Rocky, lonely and retired in Philadelphia, comes out of retirement, intending to fight a few low-profile local fights. He's approached to fight a match with reigning heavyweight champ Mason "The Line" Dixon, and soon his comeback ignites a media firestorm.

"'Rocky Balboa' is about everybody who feels they want to participate in the race of life, rather than be a bystander," Stallone said in a statement. "You're never too old to climb a mountain, if that's your desire."

Shooting is scheduled to begin in December in Los Angeles and Philadelphia.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Talia Shire, who appeared in five previous "Rocky" films as the boxer's love interest, Adrian, will return in the sixth installment, said Stuart Herriot, a spokesman with Revolution Studios, which is co-producing the film.

"In the script, she did pass away, but it's unsure whether she might appear in a flashback or in older footage," Herriot said. "It's too early in the production to tell."

But, Herriot said, Burt Young is expected to return as Adrian's brother, Paulie.

Stallone received Academy Award nominations for starring in and writing "Rocky," and the 1976 MGM film won an Oscar for best picture, best director (John G. Avildsen) and best editing (Richard Halsey, Scott Conrad). The movie grossed $117.3 million at the domestic boxoffice, making Stallone a film star and creating one of cinema's most famous characters.

It also launched one of the most successful film series of all time. 1979's "Rocky II" grossed $85 million, and 1982's "Rocky III," which featured Mr. T, grossed $120.2 million. "Rocky IV," with Dolph Lundgren, made $125.4 million after its 1985 release. By the decade's close, however, audiences seemed to have tired of the character. "Rocky V," released in 1990, made only $40 million.

"Rocky Balboa" is the first film to be green-lit by MGM since it was acquired by Sony Corp.

10/17/05 06:40 ET
Old 10-18-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: \"Rocky Balboa\" (Rocky VI is being made)

Stallone never gets the credit he deserves.

Aside from WRITING the original Rocky, he's been trying for years to move past lunkhead roles - He gained 30 pounds to do Copland cause he wanted to do a Miramax-type picture - meanwhile the majors are passing him over or pitching "Stop or my Mom will shoot" or "Judge Dredd"

so I'm glad to see him making a bit of a comeback. - he's a hell of a smart guy -

RB
Old 10-18-2005, 05:12 AM

I agree, he is talented. The first 4 Rocky's show this, as do First Blood and Paradise Alley - but he does put himself up for crap.

And I liked Judge Dredd, even with the mangling of the comic book mythos. If he'd have kept on the helmet and been the 'first 10 minutes' Dredd all the way through, it would have been awesome, I reckon.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 AM

This thread is so two days ago.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:37 AM

I liked lots of Judge Dredd too. And I definitely respect how Stallone came out of nowhere with Rocky. I thought it would be crap, but it was impossible not to like. It was definitely solid.

Oh, and I think Burt Young not winning the Oscar the first time around was a big mistake. He was great, and better than Burgess Meredith.

I'm not sure about a 55 year old Rocky or whatever. I mean, hooray for dreams and all, but Rocky (and Stallone) are closer to geriatric age than they think. I'm not ready for Rocky with man-tits, and the thought of him taking steroids makes me more sad than admiring. It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe. There's an incredible amount of drama, triumph, and heart ache in boxing without Rocky himself having to win while draping himself in a flag again. Stallone may have slipped, but his vision can be trite and narrow, too, perhaps leading to his own undoing here.

We'll see, I guess. We didn't need to see Eastwood fight in Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think we really need to see Rocky fight now, to make a good boxing movie, and to even gain a newfound affection for Rocky. I think he's heading down a dead end.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about a 55 year old Rocky or whatever. I mean, hooray for dreams and all, but Rocky (and Stallone) are closer to geriatric age than they think. I'm not ready for Rocky with man-tits, and the thought of him taking steroids makes me more sad than admiring. It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe. There's an incredible amount of drama, triumph, and heart ache in boxing without Rocky himself having to win while draping himself in a flag again. Stallone may have slipped, but his vision can be trite and narrow, too, perhaps leading to his own undoing here.

We'll see, I guess. We didn't need to see Eastwood fight in Million Dollar Baby, and I don't think we really need to see Rocky fight now, to make a good boxing movie, and to even gain a newfound affection for Rocky. I think he's heading down a dead end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put, but I think he's going to look a lot younger than you think. He will be 60 when this films, but the guy looks like he could pass for the age he'll be playing, which I'm guessing is something like a George Foreman comeback type age, and that's without any dressing up he'll receive on screen.

I'm just glad that they're going to at least try to undo what they did with the fifth movie. Some would say they're going to try to undo everything that happened since the first.

It almost certainly won't be an Oscar winner, but I think this movie has a much better shot at being great than people think right now.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's time for Rocky to be a trainer, getting the drama from trying to change somebody else into a winner, and come by his own victories indirectly. A little reflection on how great warriors age and try to pass the mantle on to others could have been nice, if Stallone were a little better writer maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, he should be the trainer for Mike Tyson who gets a title fight with Mr. T.

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 AM

"Mason 'the line' Dixon"?!

that's just embarrassing. here's hoping the movie goes up from there.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:12 AM

I'm thinking we'd all have been better off if Drago had killed him.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread is so two days ago.

[/ QUOTE ] Here you go...