Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Default AJo - trying to kill the free card play

The villain in this case was a reasonably solid player, although perhaps a little over aggressive. When he capped on the flop I felt he was going for the free card, or else he would have just called the three-bet to set up a raise on the turn. That's what put me off check-raising him on the turn. Would anyone have been tempted? Or do you feel it was better to just lead out?

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>...
Old 10-02-2005, 03:04 AM

Default Re: AJo - trying to kill the free card play

How can you be tempted to CR someone you put on a missed flush draw? If has what you put him on then he's going to check behind.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:10 AM

Yep...lead out and just hope the villian doesn't have JJ or 77. You're still good against a wider swath of villian hands--flush draw, AK, AQ, ATs even.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:14 AM

yep lead out, if he raises call it down
Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you be tempted to CR someone you put on a missed flush draw? If has what you put him on then he's going to check behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I put him on a flush draw, which is why I led the turn. So I guess my question is better phrased as - was I right to put him on a flush draw?
Old 10-02-2005, 03:41 AM

Yes, I think a flush draw (with a pair or gutshot straight draw) is the #1 possibility. However, the cap on the flop discounts this likelihood somewhat. While many players at that level will raise for a free card, few cap for one.

I listed the other like holdings that I suspect above.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
was I right to put him on a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if he really is a "reasonably solid player". We're talking about a pretty narrow range of hands that he'd coldcall with preflop which make a 4-flush after this flop. KcQc probably, KcJc/QcJc possibly. Anything much beyond that and we're into the donk realm.

I think you're looking at 77 a significant portion of the time, or even the case jacks.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not if he really is a "reasonably solid player". We're talking about a pretty narrow range of hands that he'd coldcall with preflop which make a 4-flush after this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if he was really solid, he'd have a pretty narrow range to cold call with period. So he wasn't that solid [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I can't remember what he had - AK or AQ I think. For a while after the hand played, I remember trying to figure out whether a flush draw or something else was the most likely. I ended up deciding that giving a free card could be more costly than getting an extra bet from a checkraise. I'm not sure there's a lot in it, given he'd call a bet anyway with a flush draw.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:07 AM

The only flush draw I see being played this way is KJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], maybe QJ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] if he's extra loose preflop. KQ[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] wouldn't want to face the field with 2 cold the first time around, although it's possible since he's overagressive. I also lead the turn just in case he has a flush draw, and I don't want to be putting 3 bets in on the turn.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:06 AM

Reasonably solid might cold call with AJs, KQs, QJs, maybe AQs, maybe small/med PPs. He probably raises JJ.

He could reasonably cap the flop with 77 and any hand he figures has ~12 outs (KQ of flush, QJ of flush), also maybe AQ if he's particularly aggressive or thinks we've been overaggressive.

All the hands we beat except maybe AQ will usually take a free card after our flop 3-bet said that we're not going anywhere. Therefore, hands he bets are very likely to beat us if we're correct about our read.

I like the turn lead since a goodly % of his hands are looking for a free card and hate the c/r since he almost never bets when we're ahead.