Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:25 PM

Default Re: For those of you that play the Party 1/2 (low content)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1bb/100 is a good target.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone is making 3bb/100 in the 10/20 6-max game, it's not really that worthwhile to move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

$200/100 > $60/100
Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
1bb/100 is a good target.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if someone is making 3bb/100 in the 10/20 6-max game, it's not really that worthwhile to move up?

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you arrive at that?

3bb/100 at 10/20 is somewhere around 60 per hour per table.

1bb/100 at 100/200 is somewhere around 180 per hour per table. that's 3 times more. Also playing higher will make you a much better player.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:11 PM

I'm nowhere near a 100/200 player, but I've been watching the game lately, mostly to work on my hand reading and trying to watch more TAG play, both to reconsider whether some of my plays are not optimal and to figure out how other TAGs think.

Anyway, the game certainly looks tough and I'd have a hard time staying afloat even if I had the bankroll to play the game. But there were a lot of questionable plays and some boneheaded plays (perhaps these were for shania, what do I know). There was one player who seemed out of their league, playing too passively and pretty easy to read (even for me!).

I've kind of been thinking of posting some of the hands I found most interesting and seeing if we could discuss them. But I am not sure how much of the story we are missing given that these people have huge databases of stats versus one another.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:35 PM

you can only play 2 100/200 tables at a time so you make 360 per hour.

4tables of 10/20 yields 240. 6 yeilds 360 and 8 yeilds 480.

so, yes, in extreme situations the 2 can be comparable.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can only play 2 100/200 tables at a time so you make 360 per hour.

4tables of 10/20 yields 240. 6 yeilds 360 and 8 yeilds 480.

so, yes, in extreme situations the 2 can be comparable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says you can't add another 4-6 20/40 short handed tables on top of your 100/200? Or play the high games on other sites. I mean seriously. I don't want to sound like a dick but cmon now, this isn't something I should have to explain.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:26 PM

so youre sayin you can make more money playin other games than 10/20 short. amazing and profound. thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Who says you can't add another 4-6 20/40 short handed tables on top of your 100/200? Or play the high games on other sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

the original poster that posited that you can make similar figures at 10/20 as 100/200.

your post was clearly incomplete and did not compare correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to sound like a dick but cmon now, this isn't something I should have to explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you didnt want to sound like a dick maybe you should have left this part out.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3bb/100 at 10/20 is somewhere around 60 per hour per table.

1bb/100 at 100/200 is somewhere around 180 per hour per table. that's 3 times more. Also playing higher will make you a much better player.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is another reason to consider and it's very important. Playing with thin EV of 1bb/100 means that you will face way higher swings during your game.

And you also must play WAY more hands to be confident you're at least positive player.

As there are not that much high games running in Internet and they need more attention then routine 30/60- playing (agreed?) - such games become dangerous at least in terms of long run profitability.

As full-time pro I really can't afford myself routinely playing higher limits and it's not because i haven't enough money - this is because i _need to be sure_ shortly that im positive player and making money on this current level. And as time needed to know it at say 100/200 is way longer then at 30/60 or lower. So i don't like to try them until they become _popular_ over Internet and there will be at least 10 tables running in peak hours.

For myself i have another rule which means - if your EV is lesser than 1.5bb/100 after 50K hands than you should either reconsider your play seeking places to improve or quit this game for a lower game (in case you need money for a living from poker).

That doesn't mean i vote for everybody not to play high online games, just make sure you prepare for big and what is more important _long_ swings even if you almost sure you beat this game at 1bb/100.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

your post was clearly incomplete and did not compare correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

My post was only incomplete if you're a moron who can't figure the most simple things out. You would think in a mid-high stakes forum people would have the intelligence to infer you can play other games. And the original poster wasn't even close. He said 60/100 is equal to ~200/100 I don't know where you people come up with this stuff.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:50 PM

I agree with you and that's part of the reason I took 3 weeks off from higher stakes.

It was probably the best thing I've ever done. I've since had a 250bb downswing and totally didn't care, felt great and pulled myself right out of it.

It will give you higher variance, but it will also make you a better player since you have to play so many hands vs other tough opponents.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My post was only incomplete if you're a moron who can't figure the most simple things out. You would think in a mid-high stakes forum people would have the intelligence to infer you can play other games.

[/ QUOTE ]

man [censored] you. ive done my best to contribute correct poker advice ever since ive been here. i have asked at least somewhat interesting questions and dont clog the place with garbage. i am nearly never arrogant nor do i belligerently continue to push my point of view when wrong (i am not sayin you do either.)

there is absolutey no reason to attack me and for you to actually call me a moron is totally unacceptable. you are a respected poster and you should act as such.

save your flames for txman.