Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 03:43 PM

Default Gary Carson\'s book

In at least one of the footnotes in SSHE, I noticed a reference to Gary Carson's The Complete Book of Hold 'Em Poker.

I was just wondering if this would be a worthwhile read to someone who has been playing for a while and has studied SSHE, TOP, etc.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Gary Carson\'s book

Short Answer: no.

I was surprised to see Carson's book footnoted as often as it was in SSH.

Long Answer: While some of the material makes for interesting supplemental reading, there is much better material out there. In fact, some books are worth re-reading.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was surprised Mr. Malmuth and Mr. Sklansky allowed it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2004, 05:28 PM

It was the first poker book i ever bought, and i wouldn't recommend it for that (not that it's awful for that purpose, just that there are better options).

In your position, i think it would be quite interesting. One of the few negatives i see in this forum is that such a monoculture develops around 2+2 books that people seem almost hostile to any conflicting ideas. To me it's far more helpful to read differing points of view and try to synthesize them together into one's own position, rather than just pick a cadre of experts to idolize and slavishly mimic. (And i may be overstating the difference between them anyway. I just picked up Carson's book for the first time in several months yesterday and haven't really gone through and fully reassessed it yet.)

And don't let Carson's reputation as a loose cannon on rec.gambling.poker scare you off, either; his book isn't really anything like his RGP posts from what i can tell.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:52 PM

That is funny, I am not a big 2+2 fan - I hated his book, and after seeing his posts on RGP it makes sense why I hated his book.

IMHO the book is terrible and almost unreadable. Not that it is "wrong" it is just poorly written and thought-out, like every thing I have ever seen Carson write.

I bought it with Play Poker Like the Pros and Cloutiers NL/PL book. I was really only playing SnGs at the time - and didn't play any limit poker and the book is only about limit poker (not very complete).

I have tried re-reading it a few times, and I can't do it. Send me 5 bucks and it is yours. But SSH has mined every good concept from the book, plus a best of TOP, and I imagine Sklansky's two hold'em book two (although I haven't read those - a hush comes over the crowd murmers "he hasnt read HP or HPFAP? OMG!")

After reading SSH it is pretty hard to read any poker book, SSH was so well written even if I don't agree with all the assumptions and think some spots are a little pompous.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:07 PM

its a great book on my opinion
Old 12-07-2004, 06:42 PM

i own the book, wanna buy my copy?

the book is actually pretty good, if you can pick and choose what you want to get out of it. it is useless for learning pot and no limit hold-em for example. the mathmatical base that the book provides is well written and easy to understand, though. Carson provides a decent starting hands strategy, but his advice on how to play postflop is sometimes neblous and hard to grasp.

the one part of the book that i really liked and have continued to read is the section where he discusses the various therotical perspectives with which one can approach a poker game. his point is that different theoretical perspectives are approiate to differeent limits/structures/players

also, his section on 'women and poker' pointed out some holes in hoow i play against the ladies. good stuff.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:47 PM

I haven't read...HPFAP

You are doing youself a disservice. It is the best book ever written on Hold'em.

Lost Wages
Old 12-08-2004, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Short Answer: no.

Long Answer: While some of the material makes for interesting supplemental reading, there is much better material out there. In fact, some books are worth re-reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody should be surprised at this. Carson's book gave the best advice for loose passive games before SSH came out!
Old 12-08-2004, 06:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody should be surprised at this

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Even if what you say is true, Malmuth and Sklansky haven't had very good dealings with Carson. That's why it is surprising to me.