Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand Mason. A couple of thoughts.

First, I assume that you are going to call down if raised on 4th street, right? If so, I like your plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reccomendation sounds like spewing to me.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 02:07 AM

IMO, a very well played hand. my favorite part of the hand was the check-raise, call the re-raise on the flop with the donk bet on the turn. I think that gives you a lot of information.

I have been thinking about the river. At first, I thought, the check was brilliant. On second thought I like a bet more.

With a check, it is possible/probable he will bet qq/jj for value with a small chance (very small chance) he would fold those hands if mason (who i presume has a rocky image) bets.

With a bet on the river, he gets a probable call from those hands as well as probable calls from 99/1010. but he doesn't give the chance for him to make a hopeless bluff at the pot. but if the guy is any good, he obviously isnt bluffing here because this is a horrible spot for a bluff.

I think the guy has kq,kj, and with kq,kj the money is going in no matter what. anyways, i am confused again and think the rvr is really,really close. but with the way you played it on flop i think you get those pp to pay you off enough that a bet is best on rvr. that is also why i prefer your flop play as opposed to four or five betting, because when you four or five bet,you are definitely blowing all hands that you beat but are drawing very thin out of the water.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nice hand Mason. A couple of thoughts.

First, I assume that you are going to call down if raised on 4th street, right? If so, I like your plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your reccomendation sounds like spewing to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you play high limit poker? these players are irrationally aggressive, and moving people off the best hand is a big dck contest.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:15 AM

Not if you expect to get the money. Doubly true if this guy normally plays higher and knows that you don't. Triply true if you are The Mason, who is thought to be weak-tight by the locals.

While I'm not ever gonna get confused with The Mason, I can tell you that this is how I'd play the hand.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:18 AM

The 3 bet preflop can mean a lot of things here. The most likely one is that this high limit player will take old weak-tight author boy behind the woodshed and isolate him. This isn't a bad plan, in theory. Successful high limit players use the same strategy for people who are on a short bankroll or who are running bad all the time, and it gets the money. Maybe I should write an article on it. Yeah, I think I will. Betting the river is terrible, since check calling will induce a bluff a lot more than a bet will get called.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:19 AM

Do you really think the button has a hand? He might, but I don't think he necessarily does. Checking the river is clearly correct.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:27 AM

Good high limit players raise AK on the river a lot more than you think. They also raise a bust out hand. That's why you have to call.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:29 AM

I'm trying to think of an opponent against whom betting the river is correct. I can't.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you play high limit poker? these players are irrationally aggressive, and moving people off the best hand is a big dck contest.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I do not, but I do play in some ultra-aggressive games with LAGs which emulate (simulate?) a high limit environment. Is your reasoning because of the texture of the board? That was the one thing that made me take pause before I made my prior post.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:34 AM

If you haven't played these games with this amount of money, you don't understand. The amount of money actually matters, whether it matters to you, me, or The Mason, the opponents actually think it does, and they are right for the most part. See what I'm getting at?