Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Q re Nyms

Do some/most/all of the two plus two people use other pseudonyms when playing on the poker sites?

Is there a good reason to do so? ie: Preventing other players from keeping quite such good notes?

Doc
Old 12-31-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Q re Nyms

I use a different name here than in the poker rooms. It seems pretty foolish to open my playbook (good or bad as it is) and let you all use it against me in particular. I'm not good enough to tell you how to beat me!

I'm a big fan of helping others and being legitimatly helped by others but this game is such that knowing specific patterns and strategies about others play is huge. My tactics, in general, are in line with ABC poker as (I would guess) are most of the better players here. It's all the little "secrets" that makes the difference - I'll share my "secrets" as long as you don't know who I am so you can use it against me.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:22 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

I use the same handle (or a variation of it) on most sites as I do here, and on Stars, I use an image of Count Duckula I d/led from a fan site (someone else had already claimed CountDuckula, and at the time I signed up, I didn't think to make up a variation on the handle -- though I've only played a few freerolls and play money games there, anyway; one of these days, I'm going to make a deposit and see what it's like, but at the moment, I'm building my BR on Party). I just like the handle. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But if I know that someone else at the table is a 2+2er, or if I find myself outclassed at a table in general, I try to find easier pickings. However, I've only recently started to learn how to figure out when I'm outclassed quickly enough to avoid bleeding chips. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Mike
Old 12-31-2003, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not good enough to tell you how to beat me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good enuf that you can afford to tell? or like me can't tell because don't know yet?

Serious question:
[ QUOTE ]
...ABC poker...

[/ QUOTE ]

??????????????????????

Tx for response,

Doc
Old 01-02-2004, 01:16 PM

I'm guessing you are questioning the definition of "ABC poker"?

It's just basic "by the book" poker - bet strong when strong, check or fold when weak and don't try to get tricky (lot's of check/raising, trapping, slow playing, bluffing etc). Just lot's of value betting without trying to disguise your hand type of play. You'd think it would hurt you, but in low-levels on-line, some of these guys will call any bet expecting that you are just bluffing all the time.

That's (as I understand it) ABC poker.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not good enough to tell you how to beat me!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not good enuf that you can afford to tell? or like me can't tell because don't know yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm good enough to tell you how to beat me. I'm not good enough to tell you how to beat me and then still defend myself. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'd kick my ass if I could sit down as a clone of me against me. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 01-02-2004, 03:20 PM

I like using my regular name as sort of a secret warning flag. Since I play shorthanded, and I don't believe myself to be a "weak" player, I can often keep other good 2+2ers out of my games if they can recognize my name. I know that ZeeJustin and GoT have both been in my games for a little while, and we just chatted for a few minutes and got a table change. Since it sometimes takes a while to figure out if someone is tough or an over-aggressive fish, I like to advertise "Stay Away!" Even if I am not great, there are definitely easier pickings out there. In shorthanded games, one tough player can make a pretty big difference, so I don't mind advertising. Besides, with all the dead money out there, nobody is going to take the time to "study" how James282 or LetsRock plays - why figure out how to beat a decent player when you can steamroll one who sucks?
-James
Old 01-03-2004, 02:19 PM

Someday... If I stay on this site and keep reading.

I do understand your statement tho. There is a comment in 5th Street that Doyle Brunson was truly sorry he ever published Super System. Never won another gold braclet from the time it came out.

Doc