Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Difference between 6-Max and Full Game

Do most of the Mid-High stakes players prefer 6 max tables or actual full ring games. Which is more profitable to the better players? For 5-10 and 10-20 NL, for example, is it easier to make a profit playing a full ring game or do most people prefer 6 max. Thanks, I couldn't find anything in the search, I know this probably was discussed before...
Old 11-24-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Difference between 6-Max and Full Game

The principle is to isolate the worst players - ideally you would get a donk HU. If you're not practicing good table selection and donk hunting, though, then you've got to look at other considerations.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:11 PM

In 6 max moreoso than full ring you are playing the other guy's cards rather than your own.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:35 PM

I have no idea how to play 10-handed. I'm totally lost. That means I don't really have a choice, so I wouldn't know which game is better. It does seem that full ring is boring though.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:39 PM

I personally prefer 6 max tables... And yes, they are more profitable if you are a good player solely based on the shear number of hands you can play as a opposed to full ring games. The varaince is much higher though so be prepared for some swings.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:39 PM

6 max takes more skill. Much more skill actually. The ability to play more hands is acquired by playing 6 max... about the second time you lose with set over set or kings to aces at a 10 person table you will soon migrate to 6 max. However, as previously said, be prepared for bigger swings. This sounds stupid and repetitive, but you have to have big balls (as Mike Matusow would say) to play 6 max. Hand values go up exponentially... and if you nutset, you will soon be blinded away...