Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Frozen River?

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Can they really check if they have me beat?

Can they really call if they don't?
Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Frozen River?

If there was only a straight or a flush draw out, I'd be more receptive of the check. Since you can't assume the potential draw is only JQ, I think you need to bet this. I don't know 10/20 very well, but in my experience, people love to call.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:05 AM

why did you raise with q-k offsuit preflop? then semibluff on the flop when there was no chance u'd get 3 people to fold? Then the check-folding down is fine i guess...but preflop and on the flop weren't that great
Old 06-16-2005, 08:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you raise with q-k offsuit preflop? then semibluff on the flop when there was no chance u'd get 3 people to fold? Then the check-folding down is fine i guess...but preflop and on the flop weren't that great

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop and flop are standard. Preflop is because charts and stats show it's winning to raise that preflop. Flop is good because our hand might be best.

Tim: I bet that river. I don't think all 3 had a draw on the flop, and it's rare to have someone try to check-raise the T twice here. I bet expecting to get called by a weaker hand often enough to be profitable.

Getting check-raised sucks though, I'd advice against it.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:20 AM

Hey Tim,

Easy river bet.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 AM

I think this is a pretty easy bet. What will they call with? I'm not sure but they always seem to find something. And I think you're good here almost always. I can't imagine MP3 or CO checking a T through on both the turn and river and it makes no sense for UTG+2 to go for a check/raise with a T considering the relative position. JQ also seems unlikely given the river check through. You'll get at least one caller on average here and be good most of the time, IMO.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Can they really check if they have me beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe.

[ QUOTE ]
Can they really call if they don't?

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely!

Bet the river.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop and flop are standard. Preflop is because charts and stats show it's winning to raise that preflop. Flop is good because our hand might be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't even sure where to begin with the pre-flop question. I always raise KQo in any non-blind position in an unraised pot.

As for the flop, technically I'm quite likely behind to Ace high (or better), but the bet does other good things. Any folds help me, and I'd like to take a free card on the turn. Of course the downside is getting check-raised and then not getting one. I guess someone can make a case for taking the flop free card instead. This might be the more interesting part of the hand since the river is pretty clear.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:02 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

pretty common value bet situation for me. no one is going to risk a check raise going through twice on the turn and river. its okay, don't be scared to make money.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tim: I bet that river. I don't think all 3 had a draw on the flop, and it's rare to have someone try to check-raise the T twice here. I bet expecting to get called by a weaker hand often enough to be profitable.

Getting check-raised sucks though, I'd advice against it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the river as well. My inclination is to fold to a check-raise. What do others think?

-McGee