Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2005, 04:05 PM

Default Did I play this right?

Ok...person who raised is low stacked and has a semi high VPIP...the MP2 has a vpip of 75 and stays in until the river every time...so I played what I had which in other situations i would probably fold...heres the hand...

any input would be appreciated...like should I have raised the turn also? I knew he had a K or maybe even got lucky and had KQ...but he calls raises with almost anything....

Preflop: Peach is BB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Peach calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Peach bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Peach 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Peach calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Peach checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Peach calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Peach bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Peach 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 15.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Peach has Td Jd (straight, king high).
MP2 has Kc Qd (two pair, kings and queens).
Outcome: Peach wins 15.70 BB. </font>
Old 03-26-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Did I play this right?

You flopped a great draw, open-ended straight plus backdoor flush.

I would check call the flop. By betting, your allowing the PFR to potenitally raise and knock out the MP2 by making him call 2 cold. I know MP2 is loose and may call anyway.

But, with a flop check/call, you can trap MP2 with a check raise on the big streets, plus you get more money out of the PFR when you raise on the turn.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the flop 3-bet is bad. against a PFR, you should be pretty damn sure you have no overcard outs, so you want people in, not out. I like the river bet though. if you really didn't think he'd fold, then it's ok
Old 03-26-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the flop 3-bet is bad. against a PFR, you should be pretty damn sure you have no overcard outs, so you want people in, not out. I like the river bet though. if you really didn't think he'd fold, then it's ok

[/ QUOTE ]

well i knew both were staying...thats y i 3bet the flop, but i see what ur sayin...im a tard!
Old 03-26-2005, 04:39 PM

I really dislike the flop 3-bet. There doesn't seem to be a reason to jam this flop unless there's more of a crowd involved. Getting UTG+2 out isn't important since your J and T's are almost never outs here and you won't be able to clean it up or boost the pot size enough with the 3-bet and that doesn't even consider the potential of a cap which did occur. You still will have odds to call for your open ender even if the diamond doesn't come albeit a smaller overlay but you'll end up putting less in on the flop where you are simply paying off the real hand with this action.

If the diamond does come you only need about 1 in 3 to call the turn and that's pretty much a no brainer.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:16 PM

First, assuming you have a clean 10.5 outer, you are something like 1.5:1 to come in by the river, and are facing two loose players with one being near all-in, which usually means no one is going away. Assuming they both call, your flop 3-bet is fine, but somewhat marginal. I would be more interested in seeing a read on the aggression levels of these players, rather than their looseness. That would help critique the play a bit.

Raising the turn imo would be very bad. You are putting bets in against a made hand with a very small equity edge, and could be costing yourself bets when you do hit, as MP might slowdown when you make your hand, which is when you want most of the bets to go in.

River seems fine. MP is acting like he had a big hand from the flop, which you are now probably ahead of (i actually thought he had KQ, but since you posted results, i dont want to brag.) It looks like youve made a smaller two pair, and are very likely to get raised here. 3bet at will.

FWIW, dont post results with hands. It works out much better.

peace

john nickle