Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Buy computer or build own?

Mod: Not sure where this should go, so if it needs to be moved, move please.

I'm going to buy a new computer at the beginning of the year. My question is..Should I just buy one from Dell.com or should I build my own. There is no way in hell I can build it myself, but my neighbor runs a computer store and he builds them all the time for people. I've taken my computers to him numerous times to get fixed and he always has them ready in 24/48 hours.

I don't do anything crazy on my computer. Just the normal web browsing. Probably the most taxing thing I do on it is download music, but not like I did a few years ago when I was still in school. Obviously I would like to have good amount of memory, and be able to play poker with no hiccups. Also, I have 2 monitors, so I would need an extra video card.

So, you computer experts, what do you suggest?
Old 11-23-2005, 08:36 PM

Default Re: Buy computer or build own?

might as well just buy one from Dell. They're so cheap these days especially if you get a deal its not worth the hastle...
Old 11-23-2005, 08:37 PM

I would suggest finding someone who can help you build one and then building one yourself. The best thing about knowing how to build your computer is that you can upgrade any part of it at any time. You'll never need to buy a "new" computer again, you can just upgrade each part as they become too outdated for you. It's a lot cheaper in the long run. Also, building a computer is really not that difficult if you have someone show you how to do it.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:38 PM

post in computer technical help

prob have your buddy build one
Old 11-23-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a lot cheaper in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

DEFINTELY.

Ask your buddy to help you, or have him build you one. Even if he doesn't give you a deal it will be better than buying one from Dell.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:47 PM

I'm a moron and know nothing about computers. I managed to build my own with few problems. There are tons of walkthroughs around that go step by step with pictures and such.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM

No way I'm building this by myself, more than likely will have him just build it for me. Might watch and learn for the future.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:51 PM

I would use one of these cases and build your own.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:16 PM

Wait for a dell deal on the 9300 where you get a smokin computer and a 24" LCD for $900. Bonus if you buy it through small business (make up a business name) so you get US support, instead of india.

Do you think your friend is going to warranty his hillbilly computer he makes for you?

Nick
Old 11-23-2005, 09:21 PM

I would definately recommend that you build your own. But that is a decision that is based off how comfortable you are with making a machine, and how knowledgable you are with computers. By building your own, you are guaranteed to know what kind of parts that you have in there (vs junk from others pre-made computers).

As a final project in my video editing class in college, I made a video on how to build a computer. If only I cared enough to keep that [censored].

Good luck with your decision.