Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Calling out a hand

The other night a kid sits next to me in a 4-8 game who is clearly in the beginning "be serious, pay lots of attention, don't play loose, I might as well write what I have on my forehead" stage of his poker career.

He is to my immediate right in MP. He limps and I pick up AA and raise it with the BB and him calling. The flop comes Q 5 2 with 2 clubs. It gets checked to me and I bet, BB folds, and he raises. I think about it for a couple of seconds and say "You like your set of 5's". I honestly almost never call out hands, and I certainly hadn't that night yet. At this point I was doing really well at the table, showing myself as a solid player. Now I had the A of clubs, and decided to call telling him his set is good now but another club better not fall, as I am feeling pretty sure he would fold to aggression with 3 clubs on board. Alas, it didn't fall and I folded the river and he showed his set of 5's.

My question is how often would someone actually fold a good hand after an 'solid' opponent calls it out and still shows agression? Of course this excludes opponents who make constant declarations of players hands (and are almost never right) and/or have proven themselves to be maniacs and could be raising because they haven't seen the river in 2 hands. Just curious.....
Old 10-06-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Calling out a hand

[ QUOTE ]
The other night a kid sits next to me in a 4-8 game who is clearly in the beginning "be serious, pay lots of attention, don't play loose, I might as well write what I have on my forehead" stage of his poker career.

He is to my immediate right in MP. He limps and I pick up AA and raise it with the BB and him calling. The flop comes Q 5 2 with 2 clubs. It gets checked to me and I bet, BB folds, and he raises. I think about it for a couple of seconds and say "You like your set of 5's". I honestly almost never call out hands, and I certainly hadn't that night yet. At this point I was doing really well at the table, showing myself as a solid player. Now I had the A of clubs, and decided to call telling him his set is good now but another club better not fall, as I am feeling pretty sure he would fold to aggression with 3 clubs on board. Alas, it didn't fall and I folded the river and he showed his set of 5's.

My question is how often would someone actually fold a good hand after an 'solid' opponent calls it out and still shows agression? Of course this excludes opponents who make constant declarations of players hands (and are almost never right) and/or have proven themselves to be maniacs and could be raising because they haven't seen the river in 2 hands. Just curious.....

[/ QUOTE ]

1. keep your mouth shut

2. reraise