Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 03:44 AM

Default AKs all in PF

15 hands into a small stakes STT you raise AKs to 150 (blinds 15/30 your stack = 1600) from middle position with two limpers before you. The cutoff calls, its folded to the big blind who raises all in to about 1500.
2 questions:
1. its folded to you, do you call?
2. its called by the first limper then folded to you. do you call?

my thoughts on 1 are that i dont want to get in situations invloving chance with worse players, I would rather outplay them later. Even a hand like AKs is only about a 60% favorite against QTo. Against Axo its about a 75% favorite, but the most likely hand im up against (88-QQ maby KK or AA) is just a coin flip. Since you will be against a coin flip about 50% of the time, your realy only about a 60% favorite to win the hand on average.Is that small % advantage worth giving up the chance to outplay them later?

My thoughts on 2 are that it depends who is going all in against you without further info i would assume someone has AA or KK. against crazy people its a call because you could be up against 2 underpais or one underpair and one dominated hand.

someone dissagree with me, and we can learn
Old 06-24-2005, 03:54 AM

Default Re: AKs all in PF

[ QUOTE ]

my thoughts on 1 are that i dont want to get in situations invloving chance with worse players, I would rather outplay them later. Even a hand like AKs is only about a 60% favorite against QTo. Against Axo its about a 75% favorite, but the most likely hand im up against (88-QQ maby KK or AA) is just a coin flip. Since you will be against a coin flip about 50% of the time, your realy only about a 60% favorite to win the hand on average.Is that small % advantage worth giving up the chance to outplay them later?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is incredibly wrong. A 60/40 edge with some overlay is definitely worth taking early in the game. You really want to call if you think are you a 60% chance to win, and at the $11's, I think I can make this call pretty easily. If you are folding because of thoughts of "outplaying them later," stop. You're not going to get an edge as good as 60/40.

[ QUOTE ]

My thoughts on 2 are that it depends who is going all in against you without further info i would assume someone has AA or KK. against crazy people its a call because you could be up against 2 underpais or one underpair and one dominated hand.

someone dissagree with me, and we can learn

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree here. Without definite reads on both players, I muck to two players all-in. Just AA and KK show up here more often than I would like, and pair + Ax isn't too great here, though I suppose worth taking.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:57 AM

If your playing in a deep stack tournament like the WSOP...wait and outplay them later.

THis is a one table SNG. Your not going to get a 90/10 opportunity to "out play" him later.

Auto-Call with no callers.
Fold with one caller.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:58 AM

If you're at the WSOP, alarm bells should be ringing here, that's why you fold, not because a 60/40 sit isn't good enough.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:10 AM

I wasn't speaking specifically of the WSOP. Just a tournament with ridiculously deep stacks.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 AM

I'm not sure about all the advice that's been doled out already.. if you call and lose, you are basically OOTM. Call and win, you have T3000. But how much better off will this put you to place ITM than if you folded and had T1450? Not much at this stage of the tournament..

It doesn't look like a resteal, so I would only call this with a strong read or if the blinds were larger.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 AM

So your saying an early double up in a tournament doesn't put you in a very advantageous position throughout the rest of the SNG?

That reeks of poor play.