Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Re: On Phil (H)

[ QUOTE ]
[ and AJ hellmuth made a huge raise with AQ big enough to set AJ all-in preflop, with AK vs KJ vs that donk this year Hellmuth reraised the AK, allowing KJ to go all-in preflop which Hellmuth had to call,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm really bad at poker, but don't you want to get all the money in PF in situations where you...um...what's the word...oh yeah - dominate the other person's hand?
Old 10-21-2005, 11:22 AM

[/ QUOTE ]I have very little to say on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

'Ya sure?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Many on these boards have played with him.

I played with him for a good part of day 2 in the WSOP 2004.

Soss and the others are correct.

You are not.

Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

What, that I posted, do you think is incorrect, exactly?

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

you have a gross lack of understanding of the implications of stack sizes in a tournament. The fact that you don't even mention stacks indicates that you have a lack of fundemental knowledge of tournament poker. If you are truly interested in learning, read and post on the MTT board for a while. If not, then continue to watch the all in hands on the WSOP broadcasts. Oh, and don't forget to turn in your homework.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ and AJ hellmuth made a huge raise with AQ big enough to set AJ all-in preflop, with AK vs KJ vs that donk this year Hellmuth reraised the AK, allowing KJ to go all-in preflop which Hellmuth had to call,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm really bad at poker, but don't you want to get all the money in PF in situations where you...um...what's the word...oh yeah - dominate the other person's hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, phil was not that smart to push in his stack with AK... I hope sossman and some others from the mtt forum can back me up on this. With a stack as large as his was, and the blinds moving up as slowly as they do at the WSOP, Im really not looking to call an amateur's all in with AKo.

Sometimes you're a 70/30 fave, but nine times out of ten, you're a 10% underdog in a coinflip, or completely dominated by KK, AA.

If you understood this, you wouldnt all be clapping your hands for this hand. Yes, we know he did the right thing by doing it, because we could see the hole cards... but if I was at taht table, I would gladly throw away AK rather than call ana ll-in. Or I would just play for alot cheaper.

Exit, Soss, Woodguy, anyone back me up on this one?

hell.... where's stanzee!?
Old 10-21-2005, 03:59 PM

I think he called with AK because the guy (from the one previous hand I saw, go sample size!) was a complete donk, and he was trying desperately to get all his chips before someone else did. He knew the guy would push weak hands and therefore AK was a huge favorite against his range. Plus, Phil Hellmuth can see his hole cards too, you know [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seeing into another man's soul can be quite useful.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:12 PM

Being a donk is exactly what I mean... but I guess I could see the possibility of a read there.

I just dont think that he could definitely put him on "any two above ten" which is basically what he did there.

But hey, as someone here will most likely point out, I dont have 9 bracelets, so I must suck.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, phil was not that smart to push in his stack with AK... I hope sossman and some others from the mtt forum can back me up on this. With a stack as large as his was, and the blinds moving up as slowly as they do at the WSOP, Im really not looking to call an amateur's all in with AKo.

Sometimes you're a 70/30 fave, but nine times out of ten, you're a 10% underdog in a coinflip, or completely dominated by KK, AA.

If you understood this, you wouldnt all be clapping your hands for this hand. Yes, we know he did the right thing by doing it, because we could see the hole cards... but if I was at taht table, I would gladly throw away AK rather than call ana ll-in. Or I would just play for alot cheaper.

Exit, Soss, Woodguy, anyone back me up on this one?

hell.... where's stanzee!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, he raised or reraised those hands. Then the calls of the all-ins were no-brainers.
I really don't understand your above points. Considering the positions, stacks, and reads (and even results - PF of course) his plays were perfect.
We're not talking about calling giant raises where you're likely to be in coinflip situations here, we're talking about raising with good hands in favorable situations.
Old 10-21-2005, 04:21 PM

Your assessment, especially the part about Phil getting involved in too many big pots preflop? Dead on, in my opinion. I mean, just look at this:

[ QUOTE ]
It is now announced that they will break my table, and I'm dealt Q-Q under the gun. I make it $1,800 to go, and now I'm freaking out thinking I'm going to lose this pot to K-K. Everyone folds to the big blind, who is the guy who beat me with Q-9 earlier in the day. He moves all in for my whole $18,000. Finally, I fold my hand faceup, and he shows me A-K.

The very next hand, at a different table now, I'm still talking about throwing away pocket queens when I pick up pocket queens again and open for $1,800. Incredibly, the big blind moves me all in! This time, I feel that my opponent has J-J or worse, but I still fold my hand faceup. The big blind shows 7-7. I don't mind this at all. After all, I could have gone out if he hit a 7. Besides that, who in WSOP history will ever lay down Q-Q in back-to-back hands for a single reraise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Booyakasha! Your assessment eats ass!
Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

But hey, as someone here will most likely point out, I have no idea what I'm talking about , so I must suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2005, 04:33 PM

I just went and did a quick survey of some of your past threads. You are either the most successful troll alive, or really stupid. You just start these awful threads and get smashed in the face by everyone who replies... It's hilarious.