Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 09:01 PM

Default JJ in early position

Hi,

Ive been scanning around looking for info on playing JJ..a bit of a tricky PP in that it can look a lot better than it actually is, and can therefore be easy to overplay.

The question i have relates to an earlier post:

JJ reraised PF and Overcard on flop

This is a clear case of overplaying JJ, but i think it's interesting in that Hero makes a substantial raise Pre-flop (i assume that the BB is 0.50 as this isnt given) in early position..but is then re-raised and calls. I personally can only see the CO player re-raising with QQ, KK, AA, or (maybe) AKs. This assumes he isnt a maniac or very LAG player.

Therefore unless Hero has sufficient odds to call for a chance to flop a set should he fold the JJ after raising in EP and then getting re-raised?

TIA,

Obliky
Old 01-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Default Re: JJ in early position

JJ and TT are IMO the hardest hands to play. However these are still premium hands. Do you play 6max or full?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:04 PM

In the van helsing hand i would have called the reraise PF, then check called down bassed on the flop texture. This is unless the player is a TAG.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:06 PM

I play full, so raising in EP with JJ could be questionable...the point of the post is that if you DID raise a good amount in EP and were re-raised by a non-maniac player would you throw it away?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:09 PM

The thing that got me with the hand is that i really cant see anyone re-raising an early position raiser with anything but AA, KK, or QQ...could this be a hole in my game where im assuming too much strength in my opponents?
Old 01-08-2005, 09:11 PM

What level do you play? do you have PT? A read in this situation makes ALL the difference.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:15 PM

at the moment im playing 0.10/0.25.. im pretty new but i hope im improving resonably quickly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yeah i have PT..
Old 01-08-2005, 09:19 PM

So i assume you are playing on PS? I recomend you always have a game time window open per table, or get gametime+. In this game, i would not give much credit to your opponentas abilities. Limping UTG w/ JJ in full ring is by no means a bad play. However, i think you will push a larger edge by raising this hand from any position in an unraised pot. This of corse is a higher varience play, but you beter get used to varience!