Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2004, 11:31 PM

Default sanity check: this is OK, right???

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (8 handed)

UTG+1 ($25)
MP1 ($16.15)
MP2 ($37.60)
CO ($13.25)
Button ($13.55)
SB ($9.25)
BB ($8.25)
Hero ($24.50)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Hero calls $0.25, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls $0.25, MP2 calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Button folds, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($1.35) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 bets $1.5, MP2 calls $1.50, CO folds, BB folds, Hero calls $1.50.

Turn: ($5.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 bets $5.85, Hero raises to $14, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $8.15.

River: ($33.85) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets $8.75 (All-In), MP2 calls $8.75.

Final Pot: $51.35
<font color="green">Main Pot: $51.35, between MP2 and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP2 ($51.35).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Tc Jc (flush, queen high).
MP2 shows 7c Kc (flush, king high).
Outcome: MP2 wins $51.35. </font>
Old 07-18-2004, 02:18 AM

Default Re: sanity check: this is OK, right???

I raise on the flop. One of those guys almost certainly has a big club and there's no sense in letting them draw for free. If someone pushes against your raise then you have a decision to make based on your read. I think just calling with just a decent flush is asking for trouble.
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 AM

Check-raise the flop otherwise well-played. Flush over flush happens, but your main concern on the flop should be to raise to give bad odds to the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

If someone has a better flush so be it. He could easily have a smaller flush, nut flush draw... flush draw + pair, set, etc.

Sly
Old 07-18-2004, 10:10 AM

I donīt see many problems here. Pushing the flop would be nice to take out drawers. After all u let MP1 go trough the flop. He might have been the one holding the A and could have hit on turn or river.
But as for the final result, it happens.
Yesterday, I had KK on the button pre-flop, I betted the pot pre-flop (4 callers + blinds), 3 folded, we went with 4 people in. FLop came with 28K, made me a set, I checked, MP2 betted 1.50. Two other callers. I pushed the pot to fold them. The other two folded but MP2 betted. Turn was a 4. Ok, no flush on table, no str8 possibilities, the guy cna only have a small set. I waited for his check, but the guy betted the pot. After thinking for awhile, I reraised in all-in. The guy thought for like 10 seconds and called.
Well... river was a A, the guy holded AA, and made the best set. Is it insane? No, just happens.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 AM

Default not raising the flop

my thinking on not raising the flop is that, with three people in the hand, many people in these games just will not fold the ace of clubs even with one card to come. so by calling the flop i
-make it harder for them to put me on a flopped flush
-give the A or K of clubs a much worse situation facing a big raise on the turn rather than on the flop
-give them a chance to improve their hands (as long as it's not a club)
-allow myself to get away if a club hits and someone else wants to go allin.

i know there are probably 17 or so cards i really don't want to see, but i think in the long run i'm more likely to get allin way ahead if i try to do it on the turn.

if one of the top 2 cards pairs on the turn, that's tough but a set or top two would probably have gotten allin on the flop anyway, so i don't think i lose money by letting myself be outdrawn there. i'm mostly trying to dodge a club.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:03 PM

I wouldnt play J10s UTG in the first place.