Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-29-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: money management

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I'd say Small Stakes Hold'em, Poker Academy Pro and Poker Tracker (those last two are software).

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me among the skeptics about PT's usefulness for someone who hasn't yet learned the basics, e.g. who's playing small-stakes LHE without having internalized the lessons of SSHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you're talking about me, I'll chime in here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Where I find PT to be the most useful is analyzing trends in my own play. Sure, sometimes I need the book open to make complete sense of my stats (not that often anymore) but it is still the easiest way to organize the information for review.

It is also an excellent way to keep your hand histories together to review.

The filters make it easy to compare the way you're playing from month to month. How did I play this month? Did I make my goal of more raises and less limping? How did it affect my win rate? etc.

In a lot of ways I think PT might be MORE useful for a beginner because you're still figuring things out. The data analysis tools in PT can help you to quantify the changes.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where I find PT to be the most useful is analyzing trends in my own play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

I understand you can use a 3rd party utility and display other players PT stats via a HUD, but that's just a crutch for your own bad play.

Much better to use PT to spot your own strengths and weaknesses, and plug your leaks.

I'd rather rely on my strengths than on someone elses weaknesses.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:29 PM

The HUDs are useful for making sense of the very large # of players at the popular sites. When you only sit down with someone for a hundred hands ever 3 weeks, it's hard to remember what their tendencies were.

I am currently on my last couple of days of trial with PokerACE - I think I may go back to just looking people up in PT.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 PM

How do you know when to leave the table?

Plan to play for a specific amount of time and stick to it.

I would only like to spend $100/ month.

Not a good approach. Play at stakes where your bankroll can absorb the learning curve. With $100, play something like $.10/$.25 limit, $5 max NL, or $5 SNGs. That gives you some wiggle room to learn to play and not have to deposit any more money.

Download hand histories after each session. Post hands to the appropriate forum here for feedback.