Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > The Stock Market
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Sirius Satellite Radio

New to this forum, glad to see stock market, sports gambling, and other interesting options... anyhow I just jumped into this last week after doing some reading up on it. Curious to see if there are any other investors in SIRI since it's so heavily traded, or maybe some seasoned experts out there who have good reason to stay away from it.. thoughts on its outlook versus XM, or if this is a good short term/long term buy? At these prices I'd consider adding more on, although I guess from a valuation point of view it might be considered trading too high already...
Old 10-05-2005, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Sirius Satellite Radio

The better play may be to short XM as the news of Stern subs starts to boost SIRI. Also long term shorts of the big traditional broadcasters like Clear Channel may still work.

In a speech given to the Progress And Freedom Foundation, Clear Channel President/CEO Mark Mays called for Congress to further loosen media ownership rules, to allow terrestrial radio stations to better compete with newer musical mediums. "Free radio is struggling. The cost of competing with new technologies and increased listener choice is staggering and profits are down," Mays said

Just bought the lifetime deal for Sirius ($500), terrestrial radio is history.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:34 PM

I like SIRI here, i think they will continue to meet expectations and their market share will grow with all the new great shows they are bringing on.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:51 PM

My understanding of the stock is that the Stern news has already boosted it and is built into the price. What could hurt them coming into the 4th quarter of this year and going forward is if new subscribers fall short of expectations after all the Howard hype..

Very interseting point about shorting major traditional radio companies... thanks!
Old 10-06-2005, 09:56 AM

I recommend you either go to your local library and read (or go to wsj.com, purchase, then read) Jesse Eisinger's 12/8/04 article in WSJ, page C1. He makes a great argument for why it's wildly overvalued.
-web