Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 AM

Default Pokerstars

i know this is more of a hand strategy forum, but since i know many microlimit players are also bonus chasers i thought i would put this here. i see many people talk about how great pokerstars is, but is it really that great of a place for a low limit (.5/1 and 1/2) bonus chaser? does it not take a $10 pot at .5/1 and a $12.5 pot at 1/2 to earn a FPP? the little i have looked at pokerstars, the play there doesnt seem to be that much different than absolute with players to flop averaging in the mid 30's for full ring. that doesnt seem like much fun to begin with, especially since it takes big pots at these levels to earn an FPP. the reason i ask is because i see where pokerstars is offering double the FPP's for each qualifying hand throught the end of the year. even with that, i dont see many positives playing at the low limits. am i missing something?

Old 12-24-2005, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars

Stars flat out sucks for bonuses and there's not much reason to do so there. Its value lies mainly in the tournaments and nanolimits, which is a great way to start learning poker without throwing $300 into a bankroll right off the bat.

I play .50/1 there becaues I'm too damned lazy to move, and it's kindof nice to sharpen my fangs against the other TAG or two at any particular table. Oh, and I'm running 4.61BB/100 over 6k hands there so far--not too bad [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

As for FPP, I think the only things people use those for are freeroll tourneys and making private tourneys for KOTKP et al. Oh, by the way, if anyone has bonuses to clear there they're doubling the FPP earned through the end of the year, so now you can get two points every dozen hands!

(Disclaimer: my only experience with other sites is Party, which I played w/ a $100 freeroll right in the middle of a 150+BB downswing. Oops.)
Old 12-24-2005, 06:18 AM

It clears at a reasonable rate for me (at .5/1). Certainly not as fast as Party's, but not as slow as UB. At night I can usually find a few tables with 40-50% seeing the flop, avg pot size $7-$10.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:25 AM

It clears a lot faster the higher you play. They never expire though, so take your time. Stars is one of my favorite places to play for their software and now their new fpp program looks pretty awesome...4 million hands to get my porche.... But I generally play elsewhere because bonuses are still a huge part of my bankroll. But if I have nowhere else to clear a bonus, the lower rake and things I previously mentioned make it a happy place for me.

I don't think Stars games are that much more difficult than elsewhere, it's just compared to party too often. I guess on average they are tighter than party's games.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:49 AM

I think the upside of Stars is there huge selection of nano limit games. You can always find a game at the limit you want to play with minimal funds as you learn the game.

The downside is crummy bonuses and tight play for such low limits. Once you can move up to say .25/.50 and definitely .50/1 and above the advantages of Stars fade away and you can look elswhere for better bonuses and softer tables.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:14 AM

They do have very good customer service. I recently requested every hand I have ever played on that site sent to me via email. I figured I had nothing to lose. If they say no, Im still without them. If they say yes, then import into PT. I played for about 18 mos without PT at that site while learning. Here is what they said...

Hello Michael,

I have forwarded your request to the person in charge, we will be
processing your request during the night as the number of hands played is
fairly extensive.

Thank you for all your patience. If there is anything else we can do for
you, please do not hesitate to contact us back. Good luck at the tables!

Regards,

Kaylen
PokerStars Support Team
Old 12-24-2005, 01:05 PM

Stars fullring tables are practically unplayable at the 1/2 and higher levels. However the 6-max tables are very very nice in general.

Another thing to remember is that stars rake is significantly lower than parties, and I don't think the 6-max games on stars are THAT worse, although it is harder to find multiple good tables if you want to do crazy multitable action. At night I can usually find 3 no problem (my limit for 6-max multitabling).
Old 12-24-2005, 06:45 PM

I often see good/very good 1/2 and 2/4 full ring tables.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:22 AM

Stars is a great site.

for bonuses, you're best of playing 2/4 and above.

word to the wise: their bonuses do NOT expire, and you can deposit/withdraw without losing the bonus. so when you see a bonus there, deposit to get it, regardless of whether or not you plan to clear it right away.
then, you can go back whenever you have the roll for 2/4, and have a few hundred in bonus waiting for you
Old 12-25-2005, 09:06 AM

The players in 6max are absolutely terrible. Bonuses clear quite fast if you play 1/2 6max and above. Their software is miles better than party's and their customer support is great.