Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Another button vs bb

TQs stack 350K 22 people left stars 11r first pays 8,5K$
Average stack is 200K, CL has 800K, I am 3d largest stack.

My image is villing to steal/value bet marginal, but above average hands and not any two.
The once that has gone to showdown was 99 Vs KQ won, Kq was small stack. AK vs 44, 44 was small stack.
I have given up on possibility to steal on button every so often, but mixed in a utg steal or two. I am active

BB has 179K blinds are 10k/20K

I raise 3xbb from button,sb fold, bb pushes.

Image of BB; has gambled with Ax hands, I am quite certain that his range leaves me coinflipping or slight dog. He would most likely trapp with a high PP.But I dont think he thinks I am the one to lay down to easy, though unsure if he cares

Fold or call?

Stokken, trivial to some, thoughest part of the game for me these days.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Another button vs bb

getting around 2/1 and the range you have your opponent on, you have to call.

now there's a good chance you're going to lose half your stack with QT, WELL PLAYED!
Old 12-23-2005, 10:11 AM

QTs is a hand you gladly take the blinds with or you can play in position when one of the blinds calls your raise. Since he survived this long in the tournament I guess he isn't a total donk and must have noticed you show down some good hands previous times. QTs can't take this much action, I would let this one go and move on to the next hand.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:14 AM

120K to call into a pot of ~250k is >2:1 on your money and you just said that his range could be rather wide. If you are fairly certain he'd trap with a high PP then his range looks something like {JJ-22,A2s+,K2s+,QTs+,JTs,T9s,98s,87s,76s,65s,54s,A2o+ ,K2o+,QTo+,JTo} which you are a 57/43 underdog to. That's right in the middle of 5:4 - 3:2 and your pot odds are greater than that. Looks like a call to me. Of course, this could also be a true resteal with complete trash as well which you would be way ahead of. Add in that factor and I think this is a fairly easy call.

Did you have a plan before your PFR as to whether or not you would fold to his push? That's definitely something to think about when raising into a short stack's blinds.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:33 AM

Curse n' Call. Odds are pretty good you are behind, but pot odds can't be ignored...
Old 12-23-2005, 10:43 AM

Ante size here is important, as my project M's are going to have a lot to do with this decision. I'm pretty sure at this level the ante is 1K, and you are playing 7 handed or so.

Yes you are getting 2:1, but due to stack size implications, I may fold here.

If you call and lose you have 171K or an M of 4.6.

If you fold you will have 290 and an M of 7.8.

If the difference between these two stacks is the difference between being able to steal, and having to open push to steal, I may fold, if my stealing has generally worked well so far.

Folding getting 2:1 to BB re-push probably isn't that smart, but sometimes stack size implications can over ride that decision.

[ QUOTE ]
I am quite certain that his range leaves me coinflipping or slight dog. He would most likely trapp with a high PP

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement makes it a pretty quick call though.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ante size here is important, as my project M's are going to have a lot to do with this decision. I'm pretty sure at this level the ante is 1K, and you are playing 7 handed or so.

Yes you are getting 2:1, but due to stack size implications, I may fold here.

If you call and lose you have 171K or an M of 4.6.

If you fold you will have 290 and an M of 7.8.

If the difference between these two stacks is the difference between being able to steal, and having to open push to steal, I may fold, if my stealing has generally worked well so far.

Folding getting 2:1 to BB re-push probably isn't that smart, but sometimes stack size implications can over ride that decision.
Regards,
Woodguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Is this one of those cases in which you make a decision that is -EV in the context of that particular hand, but is +EV for future hands?

Sam
Old 12-23-2005, 11:40 AM

Looking at the stack sizes in the OP I would think that folding this hand puts you so much closer to average stacks that your steals aren't going to be quite as effective, regardless. I don't want to give my opponents the impression that I'll fold if someone comes over the top of my raises. I want to be able to steal in LP a little more frequently and I don't want the blinds on my button preventing that every single orbit. This is especially true if, by folding, I'm only leaving myself "wiggle room" for one failed steal attempt before I'm in jam/fold mode. Actually in this case the OP said he hasn't been stealing very often - if I haven't been able to steal much up to this point I want to create a situation where I can start to do so.

By calling here players will definitely think twice about pushing marginal hands over my LP raises in the future. They'll actually need a real hand to make that move. I think that calling here will give me an image such that the remaining players won't be as tempted to make plays at me with weaker holdings since I've shown a willingness to gamble here. It may also have the added benefit of an "uneducated" player seeing this as a bad play, thus getting them to make a play at me with a marginal hand when I have them dominated.

If I feel I'm of superior skill to the rest of the players I'm more likely to make this call. If I have a good read that this shouldn't be a high PP, as the OP did, I'm definitely calling here.

Is this really a spot where stack preservation is more important than EV? If it is, perhaps I'm missing something and if that is the case I'm open to criticism and comments.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Interesting. Is this one of those cases in which you make a decision that is -EV in the context of that particular hand, but is +EV for future hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case probably not given that you will still have a low M anyhow.

I just wanted to throw that into the conversation, since it wasn't being discussed and it is important to consider.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this really a spot where stack preservation is more important than EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said to Sam, probably not here, but stack size implications should be considered.

Regards,
Woodguy