Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Would you kill a man who\'s robbing you? (long)

[ QUOTE ]
Why does this sound so much like Skeme's post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. What a sonofabitch. All I know is I wrote mine before his, so it definitely wasn't me.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:37 AM

How do you guys handle a knife pulled on ya? Here's all mine:

1) A guy pulls it out - it's a nasty-looking stilleto, he's holding it like he knows how to use it - but he's mistaken me for a bouncer(!) in a club - one of whom has taken his girl (ie she left him for this bouncer).

I talked him around, that I wasn't a bouncer, we shake hands, end of drama.

2) A little turd and his gang called me 'lurch' or 'jaws' or something talking about my size while I was running, so I stopped and approached him. He pulled out a knife, but he looked like he was gonna faint. I remembered my 'warriors' (the movie), and told him to put it away or I'd stick it up his ass. He did, and said sorry.

3) A guy in the street (nutter I think) just pulled it out and started to call me every name under the sun. I backed away, and just walked around him, giving him a big space. He just ranted on, and stayed there. Ahh, just some nut.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 AM

Thats pretty crazy.

Rationally (not in the situation), if you had a gun, I would see no reason to shoot him. If you pull it out while he is going through your stuff you are in control. You can tell him to get on the ground, etc, etc, holler for your roommates, call the cops, etc. If he makes any sort of aggressive move towards you then shooting him is, of course, perectly reasonable.

However, in situations like this you cannot be expected to act rationally.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd shoot anyone who got close to me with a knife. Most people probably don't realize how fast and easy a knife can kill you. Even holding a gun in your hand doesn't mean anything is over or that you really have control over the situation. All the more so when you're on your bed, where you have no mobility.

This is all a good argument for not having roommates, by the way. There's always some roommate who thinks scumbags are cute and invites them in for a free scope of your house. You should have at least one place safe in the world, and if you have roommates, you most definitely don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does this sound so much like Skeme's post?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wrote mine before Skeme's was up, so it's nothing on my end.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:41 AM

if i felt i had no other choice i wouldnt think twice about killing them...

also if they hurt someone i loved i would also feel the same way
Old 12-19-2005, 07:43 AM

A couple of comments on the shoot in the kneecap, crotch, etc. suggestions.

I will not re-hash a shoot-to-kill vs. shoot-to-disable argument here, but, there is one crucial reason why if you have decided to shoot you do not try to shoot for any part of the body except for the center of mass unless you are extremely good.

In situations like the one described by the OP where you fear for your life you will be in flight or fight mode. Adrenaline will be pumping and you will most likely lose fine motor skills ( i.e. ability to acutely aim for a small target). Hence, the likelihood that you will hit an arm, crotch, or other specific body part is very unlikely unless you are highly-trained. This is why you aim for center of mass of your target. If you aim center of mass you have the highest likelihood to hit your target and eliminate the threat it poses.

So, if you have decided to shoot, this is where you aim.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats pretty crazy.

Rationally (not in the situation), if you had a gun, I would see no reason to shoot him. If you pull it out while he is going through your stuff you are in control. You can tell him to get on the ground, etc, etc, holler for your roommates, call the cops, etc. If he makes any sort of aggressive move towards you then shooting him is, of course, perectly reasonable.

However, in situations like this you cannot be expected to act rationally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the courts expect you to act with moral perfection under high pressure circumstances. Unfortunately, it's their opinion that counts.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote mine before Skeme's was up, so it's nothing on my end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's end this charade?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:45 AM

Being able to kill him assumes you have access to your gun. If he's robbing you, it's unlikely that he's just going to let you roam free unless he's the stupidest criminal ever.

But if you did somehow get a gun, I don't think you'd need to shoot him unless he tries to attack you. And I doubt he'd try that if you're pointing a gun towards him. Likewise with throwing the knife. Probably not going to happen because then the robber loses his only weapon while you can still (and probably would) shoot.

I'd have to believe there was a serious threat to my life or others' lives before I kill him for robbery. I couldln't kill someone just for stealing my stuff.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 AM

Throwing the knife isn't going to happen. That's more for commando movies.

Knocking your arm out of the way while stabbing your in the heart or slashing your throat is the worry. If you're not alert or look more scared than him, a practiced crook might try it.

I wouldn't shoot him just to shoot him, though. But I wouldn't spend any time talking to him while he's close enough to lunge in and disabled or kill me. He'd have to drop the knife slowly and back off immediately, no babbling and yapping about it. Shut the f*** up, a*shole, would be the only thing I'd want to say to him if he started trying to distract me with babble.

In this situation, it sounds like the guy had no time to reach for a gun, though.