Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 04:20 PM

Default Attn All Third-Party Voters

http://www.votepair.org/

I'm a Kerry supporter in a safe state. If you're in a battleground state and are willing to trade, please let me know.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Attn All Third-Party Voters

The depths some partisans are willing to sink to...
Old 10-17-2004, 04:35 PM

This shows how desperate the Demmies have become. Buying and selling votes. Pretty soon they will want to reinstitute slavery along with the draft.

Also I like the page which showed me which candidates are on my ballot in Oklahoma. Only Kerry???

Jimbo
Old 10-17-2004, 04:41 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

Old 10-17-2004, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This shows how desperate the Demmies have become. Buying and selling votes. Pretty soon they will want to reinstitute slavery along with the draft.

Also I like the page which showed me which candidates are on my ballot in Oklahoma. Only Kerry???

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't buying and selling, they are trading. You just vote for his candidate, and he promises to vote for the candidates of all 47 people he swapped with.

That site does not show Bush as a candidate in any state, only Kerry and the third partyers. If Kerry is the only candidate shown in OK, then I assume there are no third party candidates on the ballot.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That site does not show Bush as a candidate in any state, only Kerry and the third partyers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps sir you missed my point.

[ QUOTE ]
They aren't buying and selling, they are trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the USA that is the same as buying and selling (see barter). If you don't believe me ask thr IRS. I am searching for the relevant statutes but I believe in a few states the vote trading might be illegal.

Jimbo
Old 10-17-2004, 05:02 PM

haha, comparing swapping votes to reinstituting slavery, how reasonable of you...

rj
Old 10-17-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
haha, comparing swapping votes to reinstituting slavery, how reasonable of you...

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not compare the two. I merely stated the next logical step was for the Democrats to support slavery again.

Also:

"According to the California Elections Code, it is a crime to get "any money, gift, loan, or other valuable consideration" for "induc[ing] any other person to … vote or refrain from voting for any particular person or measure." Thus the legality of vote-swapping in California hinges on how the courts might define various terms—whether a vote counts as a "valuable consideration" and whether an offer to trade votes counts as an "inducement." The California secretary of state thinks they do, but a number of experts disagree."

The Federal statute is quite narrow and does not apply to vote trading so it will be up to the individual states to enforce their laws. However I do believe that interstate commerce rules and regulations might very well apply.

Jimbo
Old 10-17-2004, 06:20 PM

I'm with the conservatives on this one. It's not slavery, but it's downright dirty and cheap. It takes advantage of a loophole in the electoral process, and that's lame.

I can't believe that this stuff is legal, and that one could run a site doing this.

I thought it was lame when I heard about the Republicans registering up college students in they states they moved to, so that their vote would be worth more.

What you're doing is 20 times lamer.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:25 PM

The reason the electoral process can be exploited like this is because it sucks and everyone's vote doesn't count.

But I agree. Trading your vote is slimy.

-Michael