Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Default Please, for the love of Turkey, help me!

I'm miserable. I am certainly no expert in poker (I play small stakes on Party at 2/4 mostly, some 3/6), but after logging about 50,000 hands, I have been a relatively consistent chugger at about 1.87 BB/100. Lately though, the last two-three months, I can't win anymore. In my last 13,000 or so hands, I am down to about -.50/100. I have actually tightened up more than usual to fix it, but nothing helps (15.63 vol put $ in pot, 6.31% preflop raise). I have basically quit playing small pocket pairs unless near the button and several players in. I don't play suited aces in early position. And I NEVER play ACE/RAG unless in the blinds or maybe ATo on the button or one off. I go to showdown about 30%, but my win is only about 57%.

I have all my stats on poker tracker. It's killing me. I have never been in a streak like this. Could this be due to variance? I am playing better cards than anyone at the table, I feel I do a decent job of protecting my hand through betting and check raising to eliminate folks. Can anyone help me. Is there a key stat that I can look at?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Please, for the love of Turkey, help me!

Your "only 57%" which I assume is won at showdown is actually high! 53-55% is the norm for a winning player. Also from the limited info you have given you need to raise more pre-flop and go to showdown some more. You are probably folding some winning hands.

Be carefull that your game has not become weak/tight. Attack the blinds more if it gets folded around to you in LP and you have a playable hand.

It may well be largely down to variance, but in my experience that is only ever part of the problem, with holes in your game being the other part.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:03 PM

Raise more pre-flop, though pre-flop is almost certainly not a major problem. Stop trying to fix your results by making changes there. I strongly suspect that you are not aggressive enough. Also, your WatSD is too HIGH, not too low. Read the posts here and comment on them, even if only to yourself, before you read the responses.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 PM

Tightening up will only hurt things. Loosen up a bit and start playing PP when its profitable as well as suited aces. Also raise PF a lot more. Attempt to steal the blinds more I will assume.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:32 PM

How could tightening up be a bad thing???
Old 11-26-2005, 08:48 PM

Giving up +EV opportunities is a bad thing.