Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 01:30 AM

Default Re: Utterly embarrassing and honest confessions of a 1 year pro

I'm struggling with some of the same things. But my situation is a little different, since I'm 38 years old. I did the college thing and had at least 5 very different jobs over the years. If I never had to work for anyone but myself ever again that would be fine with me. My goals (J V style) for this year and probably next year too are: putting away as much money as possible, losing weight, and getting my teeth fixed (about one year left of this). The "F as many girls as possible" goal is on hold for now. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I do feel a little like I am always waiting though - it gets depressing. I do the whole "wake up at 2PM, don't leave the apartment for days sometimes" thing. This is why I made sure I got out to Vegas for the 2+2 thing, and I will be taking a trip for 5 days next week where I will play no poker at all. In fact I kind of regret the amount of poker I played last Sunday at the Wynn. I should have gone over to the Rio instead.

Anyway, I'm only about 5 months into this thing, and still in the bankroll building and moving up stage. Maybe I will figure out what I want to do about these other things before I get to the one year mark. If I can get to a decent win rate in dollars per hour, that would definitely help.

I don't really have any advice other than what was already said. I hope you listen to it, even the stuff that is not sugar-coated.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:34 AM

keke
Old 06-24-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's better to burn out than to fade away...

[/ QUOTE ]

r.i.p. kurt cobain
Old 06-24-2005, 03:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Some of you had some really excellent things to say, I appreciate that. Some of you had some really negative things to say, that do not benefit me in anyway, and I do not appreciate that. Hey, negative comments are bound to come with a thread that contains so much open material that it makes it easy for someone to take shots at you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Those people just are. not. cool. Period.

Very open and honest post, I truly enjoyed reading it and it made me step back and take a look at my own life. I am very far from making a living off playing poker, but my profits do rival my minimum wage income (I am 18 and live with my parents). I have spent many a late night playing poker online, often losing sleep over a bad beat or a mistake in my strategy. I have realized that my hobby has become an addiction strictly on the self-reflection that came from reading your post, and for that I thank you.

I am going to start running as you and several other posters have inspired me to do so. My advice to you is not to take life so seriously. Get drunk, smoke weed, go skinny dipping... whatever. Just be open and energetic to complete strangers and they will match your energy. The few who don't are not worth being friends with anyway (kind of like filtering out the small suited connectors with a pre-flop raise [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img])...

You're the man.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Consider El Diablo\'s Advice

[ QUOTE ]
I want to point out the "gems" of advice in this post:

1. College educations are overrated

2. Parents should invest in the stock market instead of sending their kids to college

3. Jobs suck and require effort

4. Start a business with no employees and few customers

Let me guess - you threatened to move to Canada if John Kerry lost but were too lazy to follow through on it

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why anyone saying not to go to college would be threatened by Kerry losing the election. Colleges in general are liberal strongholds, doh.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i will take a vacation somewhere in a few months. 95%.

i will move out of here within 2 years 90%.

my estimation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yo bro, I know you probably live far away as of now, but during the school year, I'll definitely be making some trips up to TStone and Foxwoods, so if you need a similarly-aged person to talk to about anything, you can PM me.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 AM

i dont live anywhere near turningstone anymore, but i live close to foxwoods. next time you travel out this way let me know.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
unnecessarily harsh IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to be harsh if I was going to be sincere. I have been a dick to him, and I do think most of his posts make him sound like a total moron. But my advice to him on how to make himself happier was genuine.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not necessary to be harsh in order to achieve sincerety. What of kindness? Decency? Wisdom?
Certainly this guy has made a few mistakes, but he seems like a decent guy who works hard, but has very limited social skills. I can't see where kicking him, at this point, can be helpful to him in any way, when he seems to be struggling.
Paluka, you may have a few "issues" of your own.
(Just being sincere.)

Just my $.02 worth...

bill c
Old 06-24-2005, 11:42 AM

"Twenty years from now you will be more dissappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones that you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
Old 06-24-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i will take a vacation somewhere in a few months. 95%.

i will move out of here within 2 years 90%.

my estimation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not enough.