Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Tourny Hints?

I've been playing in a weekly tournament, about 30-40 people, where the blinds start out at 25xBB. How should this affect my play, from say a tournament that starts at 50x or 100x, or even from a full ring game?

The players aren't terrible, though mostly vary between being too loose or too passive. The biggest note, is that _everyone_ seems to understand that 3xBB is a proper raise, and my 4xBB+1 raises are seen as overbets, and tend to either get too much respect, or raised all-in with better hands — though sometimes that just means any Ace. Should I adjust my bet size?

I feel I'm doing well playing weak-tight for the first round, then tight aggressive until getting toward the end, and then loose-aggressive. I'm taking the pot down on the flop with a pot sized raise, but don't seem to be able to stack someone unless it's responding to their aggression. Any advice as to how I could be more efficient?

A few of my shortcomings:
• I might be laying down too many hands I would usually call with in a ring game.
• I'm failing to value bet the river with mediocre holdings, even if I think they might be best.
• I need to step up the loose/aggression earlier than I am.

Anyone else have more experience they can share with this kind of thing?
Old 10-13-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Tourny Hints?

Okay, so if I'm reading this right, everyone's starting chips are 25x the first BB. So if the 1st level, blinds are 5/10, everyone has t250.

How long are the levels? I don't think that you can afford to play this weak-tight. Once the blinds go up once or twice, you will only be at 4-5BB's if you laydown alot.

I think this structure must be played fast and aggressive to build stack size as soon as possible. You really have to push those small edges and play position. If this is a regular game, you might even be able to target the other weakies (you propbably have already been targeted as such). Then put the weakies to the test with big bets. (Be a "Jackal", not a "Mouse".)

This type of structure requires more luck than skill. But if you use your reads and pick some spots to push, you might be able to build a decent stack.

I never thought I'd be saying this but online mtt structure is better that your weekly tourney. Play online if possible.

HTH, John
Old 10-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Tourny Hints?

Blinds go up every 20 min, tourney's usually last under 3 hours.

Thanks for the input. First time reading through the MTT forum, and your advice seems right on with what I've seen so far.

I know I have been pegged as weak-tight by the players capable of pegging -- aided by some really stupid plays caused by not adjusting to conditions quick enough.

Will get more aggressive in position early, see what happens.