Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: I just lost $400 on this hand - and I deserved to lose!

[ QUOTE ]
It is too weak to fold the turn and there is no reason to let the flush draw in for free when you can push the flop and force him to fold. The only reason why calling would be better is if it would allow you to get away when behind on the turn or river. So if you had 2K stacks here, MAYBE I could see a call (probably not, though, since you are pretty much guaranteed that the caller is on a flush draw). But with these stacks, you're not getting away unless you're simply giving up on the hand and that is too weak. So since you will be pot committed once you call another bet anyways, you might as well push the flop and force the draw to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said
Old 07-10-2005, 10:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are being described as 'good' in the context of a live game by a fairly inexperienced no limit poker player (particularly in a live setting). Let's not take that classification too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but this is relevant to him, not us. If they are good compared to Hero then we've got to assume that they are capable of moves that he isn't. And since they aren't, I think it's a good idea to cover all our bases in our analysis.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They are being described as 'good' in the context of a live game by a fairly inexperienced no limit poker player (particularly in a live setting). Let's not take that classification too far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this evaluation, just to chime in here.

The opponent in question didn't have JJ, he had Jx[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I don't remember what x was.

Edit: I don't remember what X was, but I do remember that it *wasnt* T or Q.

[/ QUOTE ]

With that board it doesn't matter what other heart he has with his Jh. That's still a bad call with the PF raiser still left to act.

However, with the live play I have seen at Foxwoods this call definetly doesn't suprise me at all as I have heard it's pretty much like that everywhere.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but this is relevant to him, not us. If they are good compared to Hero then we've got to assume that they are capable of moves that he isn't. And since they aren't, I think it's a good idea to cover all our bases in our analysis.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I wasn't saying we shouldn't talk about it. I was just saying that we shouldn't assume that since the guy was called 'good' he is 2p2 'good' and won't call with a draw in front of a preflop raiser.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, I wasn't saying we shouldn't talk about it. I was just saying that we shouldn't assume that since the guy was called 'good' he is 2p2 'good' and won't call with a draw in front of a preflop raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remembered that at one other point in the evening, in the context of some other conversation, Villan said "I'd play JT suited for $20 all night long." $20 is a 4x PFR.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I remembered that at one other point in the evening, in the context of some other conversation, Villan said "I'd play JT suited for $20 all night long." $20 is a 4x PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]
That can be fine or that can be terrible. With the starting stacks of 40BB, it is probably pretty close to terrible. But it could be okay if the stacks got a lot deeper and the opponents were weak-tight or whatever. In any case, it is certainly a data point indicating that he's not that good. But not conclusive by any means.