Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Go figure

If you think buying fake money with real money is retarded, check out these asses, buying fake land and paying fake taxes with real money to a couple of geniuses who have set up their own currency factory, err MMORPG.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html
Old 06-12-2004, 01:07 AM

I have to admit those MMORPG's are extremely fun but I can see why alot of people think they are pointless. EverQuest and DiabloII players used to sell thousands of dollars worth of stuff from the games every day before ebay disallowed that. I once sold a rare maul on D2 for 300 bucks.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:47 AM

Default Castles in the Air

[ QUOTE ]
If you think buying fake money with real money is retarded, check out these asses, buying fake land and paying fake taxes with real money to a couple of geniuses who have set up their own currency factory, err MMORPG.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/fun.gam...eut/index.html

[/ QUOTE ]

Julian Dibbell is the John Maynard Keynes of the post-real economy. On his blog he chronicles a year long quest to make a living buying and selling imaginary goods. So maybe he's the David Ross of Britannia. In any event I once tried to explain to him that Poker complicates money in a similar way, but from the opposite direction.

In the Manifesto, Marx describes the modern world as a kaleidoscopic realm in which "all that is solid melts into air". I think if he were alive today he would go on to say "But there remains one thing we can all count on: Sklansky Dollars!"

/mc
Old 06-14-2004, 07:43 AM

For what it's up to now ($405) I think I'd rather take my chances using that money at a real money table...I wonder if some of these bidders really understand what it is they are getting. I mean, I could understand if you wanted to spend like $50 for something that will provide a good deal of entertainment for awhile...but $400 for play money!!?? Guess some people have more money than brains.