Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 12-28-2005, 06:20 PM

Default 2-pair, villain with unusual line, value raise the river? (6 max)

Villain (18/0/1.33) is very TP PF and AGG on the flop. Please note, this is from only a sample of 17 hands, so it isn't entirely accurate.

Question is, should I raise for value here on the river? I'm leaning towards a check here because I fear a 3-bet. My table image is TAG-ish as that has been my play style during the 17 hands I've spent with him. I'm baffled by the fact that he just opts to call my raises, instead of 3-betting them, yet still lead out on the next betting round. I'm really only putting him on two hands here, 9 with a decent kicker and a set of some sort. I'm almost certain he doesn't have A3 or 36 for the straight on the turn. Villain could have 45 for the small 2-pair, but that is very unlikely. His line seems very unusual for both A9 and a set. With A9 a typical player would:

1) 3-bet the flop, hero caps, c/f the turn.
2) 3-bet the flop, hero caps, c/c all the way through.
3) 3-bet the flop, hero caps, villain calls and bets the turn, fold to a raise.
4) call the flop raise, c/f the turn.
5) call the flop raise, c/c all the way through.

With a Set:
1) 3-bet the flop, hero caps, bet the turn, hero raises, 3-bet, and continue to bet/raise aggressively.
2) call the flop raise, c/r the turn.
3) call the flop raise, lead the turn, hero raises, call raise, lead the river hoping to 3-bet hero (I find this is a very unusual line for a typical player with his stats, but this seems like the most probable scenario)

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls, CO folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP folds, SB calls.

River: (9 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero ???
Old 12-28-2005, 06:26 PM

Default Re: 2-pair, villain with unusual line, value raise the river? (6 max)

Just call the river.

I wouldn't worry too much about ascribing logical lines to an opponent at .5/1. The most likely explanation is that he's an idiot.

Still, the triple donk is worrisome enough that i don't want to raise again.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM

calls. he could have nothing, a 9, a jack, a set (although i might 3bet the turn if i am sb and have a set), who knows.

BBB
Old 12-28-2005, 09:23 PM

Call it. He could be donking around with a worse hand but getting 3-bet here would really suck.