Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: aa vs set

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

hate it, you just got pot commited when one of the scare cards hit

[/ QUOTE ]
I put him all in

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't check his stack, doesn't matter much, he has put you to the decision, not the other way around
Old 12-26-2005, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

? explain that

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to get called by TT-KK and 2 spades higher than 9 all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

you see TT-KK from an utg limper 5handed?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thats a pretty [censored] ass flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure have been posting alot since you retired from poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Did you unretire or what?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:00 AM

Why did you wait for the turn to push? Pushing flop seems better with such a draw heavy board.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you wait for the turn to push? Pushing flop seems better with such a draw heavy board.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tilt =/

Edit: I think my line is terrible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 02:14 AM

Xorbie,
Pushing seems wrong because a low PP (likely from limp/call pf) will kill you EV wise - correct strategy for AA vs 22 is to check/fold unless you hit a set. What do you think?
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
easy fold?

PokerRoom No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (5 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($103.50)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($116.60)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($94.70)</font>
MP ($146.30)
Button ($69.60)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $6</font>, UTG calls $5, Button folds.

Flop: ($13.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $24</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

opponent dependent but against most players I'd call here and check the turn, see if he takes the free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this guy has it right. There are a few things I'd like to know about this guy you are playing:

1. Is he a good player?

2. Has he limped from early position before?

3. How has he typically been playing draws and made hands.

Let me give you an example. I have a guy I play with regularly who IS a good player and likes to limp in with a variety of hands. He'll do it with Aces,Kings, AK, small pairs, suited connectors - alot of different things.

He generally plays very aggressive with draws in position and with made hands out of position and plays them the opposite when the position is changed. And he is not aggressive AT ALL with medium to big pairs on or after the flop that haven't improved.

Against this guy who I play with, you can bank that you are nearly dead. He has you with exactly the hand he is hoping. He has a set about 95%, maybe an up and down straight flush draw the other times, and about 1% of the time a straight bluff.

If you have no read on this opponent, and it is a typical game for this level, which means you have alot of weak players who overvalue hands like Ax or an overpair, then I'd be inclined to set him all in on the flop.

If he is a mid-level thinker, like me, I'd also do that. I'm not a good player, maybe a little above average. I am more likely to have limped in with KK and now think I am trapping you, or trying to protect my hand against what I perceive as the weak players that play any Ace in this game.

Does that make sense? BTW, I'm trying to get better [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
thats a pretty [censored] ass flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure have been posting alot since you retired from poker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Did you unretire or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. i enjoy thinking about the game, im just trying not to play right now. if i dont post ill get rusty.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:30 AM

if i put money in on this flop i would rather check raise all in then bet. checking this flop is a pretty decent line i think.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:12 AM

I'm trying to put myself in the opponent's place. Limp 5 handed with an 8-7 of spades? J-10? UTG?

Well, it's possible. Call $5 more to me? How drunk/frustrated am I?

On the other hand this makes more sense if I hold a pair. What the hell; you could have A-K or A-garbage

Now on the flop, when you raise $12 and I go over the top and double your raise, I've either put you on a bluff (unlikely) am drawing to a flush and feeling very lucky or--most likely I've either

a. Hit a set on the flop.

b. Think my pair of 10's J's Q's or K's has you beat with that ragged flop

So either go all-in or fold after 'my' reraise on the flop. The pot's big enough, can't see continuing to call, even if you think I'm a maniac on a nutty draw or bluff--and you haven't indicated any sort of read, just the pain of getting a scare card on the turn.

So, I repeat that the correct play was to fold or go all-in.

Which one?---- Beats the hell out of me

I don't think it's an easy fold