Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 04:30 PM

Default i think this is a surprisingly complex foxwoods hand,,,

It wasnt mine, but someone who is very good....

121 players left...120 get paid...71-120 get 11,000$....41-70 get 12k..

Chip Jett is at another table with 2 antes in his stack.

Blinds 600/1200 200 ante.

Hero has more chips than apporximately 12 people, and is UTG with 9600 chips and JJ. Many at the table have big stacks including the bb.

Hero?

sheets
Old 11-23-2005, 04:46 PM

Default Re: i think this is a surprisingly complex foxwoods hand,,,

this might be a copout, i'm not sure.

but if i had satellited into the event, i'm folding here. the potential ROI/$EV gain of just folding in that case is huge, obviously.

however, if i directly bought in, i'm definitely gambooling it up, because if dropping a $10k buyin is not a big deal for me, neither is winning $11k.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:48 PM

The step from 0 to 1.1 buyins feels like a pretty big step to me. The hero's stack is just at the size where he can easily make it into the money, but is not big enough to scare the big stacks away form playing against him.

I think I'd shut down for an orbit and reevaluate after that if we're still on the bubble. Fold.

-Oz-

(Yes, I'm aware of the arguments for opening up your game on the bubble when everyone is playing super tight. But this is the perogotive of medium and large stacks, not stacks that are in danger of being easily busted)
Old 11-23-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
121 players left...120 get paid...71-120 get 11,000$....41-70 get 12k..

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, they paid 50 people a profit of $1k and another 30 a profit of $2k? that suuuuuuuuucks.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

but if i had satellited into the event, i'm folding here. the potential ROI/$EV gain of just folding in that case is huge, obviously.

however, if i directly bought in, i'm definitely gambooling it up, because if dropping a $10k buyin is not a big deal for me, neither is winning $11k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know players use this type of information in making their decisions, but truly, EV is EV, regardless of how much it cost you to get into that position. If you super-satellited in for $5 or plunked down $10K, your result is 0 if you bust now and at least 11K if you survive one more player.

-Oz-
Old 11-23-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so... 11k means something to everybody even the pros. If you double up, you are not guaranteed to make it past 50 more people so you don't win a lot of EV, however by folding you are 100% sure to make at least 11k. It's a fold.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know players use this type of information in making their decisions, but truly, EV is EV, regardless of how much it cost you to get into that position. If you super-satellited in for $5 or plunked down $10K, your result is 0 if you bust now and at least 11K if you survive one more player.

-Oz-

[/ QUOTE ]

well, i just dont know about this. i mean i understand what you're saying. it's easy to say $EV is $EV. but what i'm suggesting is that that just isn't realistic for someone that supersatellited into the tournament.

what i think is that the potential "life-changing-ness" of $11k to someone that was previously playing, you know, $5 SNGs or something, is huge. he has the potential to return $11k on a $5 investment. to suggest that this is no different than a regular big tourney player picking up $11k on a $10k investment is just being unrealistic, imo.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so... 11k means something to everybody even the pros. If you double up, you are not guaranteed to make it past 50 more people so you don't win a lot of EV, however by folding you are 100% sure to make at least 11k. It's a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is incorrect. think about it in terms of the average $20-$50 partypoker (or whatever) tourney that you play. in those tournies, i'm pushing this everytime, because i want to double up, because i could give a [censored] about winning $20 for 3 hours of poker.

it's the same for big tourney pros who are investing hundreds of thousands a year into tourney entry fees. they are after the big score, not to sneak their way into a tiny return on their money.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what i think is that the potential "life-changing-ness" of $11k to someone that was previously playing, you know, $5 SNGs or something, is huge. he has the potential to return $11k on a $5 investment. to suggest that this is no different than a regular big tourney player picking up $11k on a $10k investment is just being unrealistic, imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

11k is nothing in the real world. At least not where I live (DC). It would be nice, sure. But it isn't paying off your mortgage or anything. It might payoff a car, but hell, those loans are only 3 years anyway.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

11k is nothing in the real world. At least not where I live (DC). It would be nice, sure. But it isn't paying off your mortgage or anything. It might payoff a car, but hell, those loans are only 3 years anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh. this shouldnt even be an issue.

if you cant see the difference in $11k for a person with bankroll enough to play $5 SNGs and $11k for a person with bankroll enough to direct buy into $10k tourneys, then, whatever.