Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-19-2005, 01:32 PM

Default Advice to people stuck @ the small stakes too long

I noticed there was a post a couple days ago about people who were stuck @ the low limits too long. It can be very frustrating to keep playing and not feel like you're good enough to brake into the middle limits. I think one of the best ways to improve your poker skill and hone the skills needed to play at the higher limits is to try playing 6 max and other short handed poker.

When playing 6 max, you are forced to push smaller edges and focus on your blind stealing and blind defense. These are 2 aspects that are extremely important when you move up the stakes. Once you make it past the small stakes, pushing smaller edges becomes more crucial b/c the knowlege gap between your competition decreases significantly. It is important to learn these skills and its nice to be able to learn them @ levels comparable to what you are playing now.

Another benefit of SH is that the players will have higher aggrssion levels. This is another thing you will have to adjust to once you move up the limits and its a lot cheaper ot play SH 3/6 than 15/30 full ring.

I've been playing SH for the last few months and recently switch back to full ring for a change of pace. Its truely amazing how much better my game has become b/c of the experience. I highly recommend learning to play SH before moving up to higher limits, I think it makes the transition a lot easier
Old 11-19-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Advice to people stuck @ the small stakes too long

I will concur with this. Shorthanded makes full decisions easier, quicker, and better. After almost 20k 6 max hands, i was forced to do some bankroll rebuilding @ 2/4 full. Like tissue paper, like tissue paper.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:56 AM

SHHHHHHHH. I don't want all these SS ubergrinders invading my SH games.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I will concur with this. Shorthanded makes full decisions easier, quicker, and better. After almost 20k 6 max hands, i was forced to do some bankroll rebuilding @ 2/4 full. Like tissue paper, like tissue paper.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Did you get crushed SH?

I'd like to play SH, but I don't want to move up to 3/6 6 max or down to 1/2 6 max. So I'm content with a real good winrate at 2/4 Full.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:52 AM

5/10 scares me. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-d
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm confused. Did you get crushed SH?

I'd like to play SH, but I don't want to move up to 3/6 6 max or down to 1/2 6 max. So I'm content with a real good winrate at 2/4 Full.

[/ QUOTE ]

2/4 stars and absolute both have 6max

and very often good games .. and 3/6 6max is more profitable than 2/4
Old 11-21-2005, 02:35 AM

I think the main reason I don't play shorthanded is because I got crushed playing 2/4 6max (-250 bb's in a little over a week, my entire bankroll). this was when I was much less experienced and playing with a short roll so I might give it another shot one of these days, but I'm running pretty well right now to change it up. maybe when I'm starting to get below 1bb/100.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:43 AM

I started out playing full games.

Now I play exculsively shorthanded.

The reason I'm stuck playing low limit is that I suck at both.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm running pretty well right now to change it up. maybe when I'm starting to get below 1bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow. Are you really saying that you've gotta play the rush?
-Sam
Old 11-21-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the main reason I don't play shorthanded is because I got crushed playing 2/4 6max (-250 bb's in a little over a week, my entire bankroll). this was when I was much less experienced and playing with a short roll so I might give it another shot one of these days, but I'm running pretty well right now to change it up. maybe when I'm starting to get below 1bb/100.

[/ QUOTE ]

you went straight to 2/4 6max with just 250BB and didn't stop till it was all gone?? couple really dumb choices there

1/2 6max is super soft, .5/1 6max is also soft as hell .. both would have made a better starting point for 6max(especially when you weren't rolled for 2/4 full in the first place)