Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Common top pair situation

[ QUOTE ]
*grunch*

Check/raise for value? Lead for fun? I'm not really sure the "optimal" line, as the button complicates things. Heads up I'd check/raise all day long. There's really no way to protect our hand from the turn cards we don't want to see. Donking might work if the CO would raise some weaker hands and charge our calling station 2 cold. Then we could call down from there unless the board gets really dangerous.

I'm leaning towards betting just because I would hate to see this get checked through, and the CO could always raise for us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing is, verse a 34/21, this is never getting checked through.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Re-link? This is a situation where I usually bet, I would love to read some c/r literature
Old 11-18-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Thing is, verse a 34/21, this is never getting checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably right, but I just kept thinking about this -

"I don't know anything about him postflop"

I agree that heads up he's betting it every time, but with a calling station of a button in the hand he may hesitate to bet his Ax here.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:53 AM

IMO I see this flop checked through against any random opponent who pfrs <5% of the time. I would assume an unknown to play as the average amalgamation of all opponents and speculate a similarly low number.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:54 AM

/grunch/
I'm not sure if I make this call preflop myself, even if he is raising like a complete donk, this may not be one of those times.

On the flop, if I did call this, I'd probably bet straight out and call a raise. If UI on the T, I'll bet/fold. Though that sounds pretty lame, I'd like other thoughts.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 AM

What about bet/calling the flop, folding if button 3-bets, and then donkbetting the turn? If CO raises us, we can fold, if not, there's lots of hands he'd raise the flop with and call the turn with.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
/grunch/
I'm not sure if I make this call preflop myself, even if he is raising like a complete donk, this may not be one of those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his position, and his high raising percentage, this is a pretty standard call preflop.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re-link? This is a situation where I usually bet, I would love to read some c/r literature

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the link: Betting into the PFR

It's not specifically aimed at check-raising or situations like this, but it's close. The link refers to times where you limp in and the player immediately after you raises and you're in a multi-way pot.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:12 AM

Your thoughts on this hand Aaron?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your thoughts on this hand Aaron?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we've got the best hand when that flop comes down, before any of the action. This is based on villain's PFR and the fact that it's not often for us both to pair the king.

It's either WA/WB or check-raising the flop. I lean towards check-raising when I think villain is weak-loose postflop (this squeezes more money out of him when he's chasing with Ax and will try to take a free card on the turn -- or if I'm 3-bet, I can trust that he's got me outkicked and get away on the turn or river, depending on the pot size and whether I improve). In this case, I suspect villain is probably aggro enough to keep betting, so I'll take WA/WB. This will also help build a postflop read on him. Having a loose donk in the middle to pad the pot is nice. On a flop like this, if he doesn't have the flush draw he has 3-5 outs to beat us. The flop call is already very thin for him and he's probably going to call a turn bet as well (without odds).

If the flush card falls and he wakes up, it isn't too bad because the action will probably be CO bets, button raises, and you fold to two bets and lose no sleep over it.