Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 11-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Default **Official ADANTHAR $1k MiniStep Challenge** (Xpost)

Cross-posted from MTT

A couple weeks back, in this thread about satellite strategy, Adanthar made this claim:

[ QUOTE ]

[*I am open to a $1000 or more wager that I can make it from a miniStep 1 (5+1) to a miniStep 5 (400+30) playing on $30 or less. I'd make it less than that but I've gotta leave room for aces getting cracked. Of course, this blatantly ignores $/hour.]

[/ QUOTE ]

And what do we do on 2+2 when someone make some fat spankingly outrageous claim like that? Why, we wager of course.

So after a few PMs, we settle on a bet of $1,000. Adanthar has an account with $30 in it, can play only ministep 1s (and any freerolls earned thereafter). If he at any time gets an entry into a ministep 5, he wins and gets a shiny trophy (read: ten benjamins). If he has run his account to less than enough to buy in to a ministep 1 and has no freerolls left, I win the trophy and he gets a certificate of participation.

Since the money has been sent to an intermediary and the games begun, we can both now explain why we're so goddamn certain that we're getting the best of it. I estimate his chance of success to be 25%. I'm assuming that he's an outstanding player.

Would like to see what some of you think about this as the games play out, and what Adanthar has to say about it.

And boy am I ever going to have to eat my words if he makes it.

Everett
Old 11-11-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: **Official ADANTHAR $1k MiniStep Challenge** (Xpost)

I don't understand why he agreed to do this bet for so little money considering the many hours this will surely take.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:03 PM

I'm rooting for Adanthar...but I don't think he can pull it off. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why he agreed to do this bet for so little money considering the many hours this will surely take.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a kicker of sorts, but he explicitly told me that he was going to figure out his $/hr before accepting this. Apparantly its still ok. Especially since if he wins, he probalby gets somemoney at the step 5 level.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm rooting for Adanthar...but I don't think he can pull it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have to root for him. Rooting for me is like rooting for the house. Or the yankees. Yuck.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM

This is the not g00t bet becase there are great player at the upper level and he will likely lose there becase people at the high level play there all the time.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:17 PM

Results so far:

6 entries. 5 rerolls. 1 loss that was my fault (pushed 2 pair ran into a straight, should've check/folded.) There's a AA vs. AA all in loss and a bunch of lost 70/30's in there but whatever, I can reroll until I stop running bad.

We'll see how it goes from here, I'll be playing mostly in the evenings.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM

this has inspired me

i'm gonna set aside $30 and try to win myself an entry to a ministep 5

i just play in the evenings anyway, so it's not like i have to worry about $/hour

if i make it (and win the mini step 5), plasma tv, if not, ramen noodles for a week
Old 11-11-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the not g00t bet becase there are great player at the upper level and he will likely lose there becase people at the high level play there all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

adanthar = g00t plahyzheerzlkh
he had very many skzierlzlasd
doubt dont g00t player
Old 11-11-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a kicker of sorts, but he explicitly told me that he was going to figure out his $/hr before accepting this. Apparantly its still ok. Especially since if he wins, he probalby gets somemoney at the step 5 level.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm rooting for Adanthar...but I don't think he can pull it off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you have to root for him. Rooting for me is like rooting for the house. Or the yankees. Yuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather root for the house on the nickel slots than root for the Yankees.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:37 PM

So for 30 bucks you basically get 5 swings at it?

I'd assume adanthar can chug through the first couple levels with rerolls on any particular buyin (barring disaster). That's assuming the opposition is very poor. What'll we give him ?...60% to make it thru 1 & 2 on any particular buyin? (edit: this is a low no I reckon, so don't feel offended ad...)

So what's the chances of him getting thru levels 3 & 4? I have no idea, but I'll put my money on the player here.

Anyone wanna side bet here..? I got $50 ready to put on adanthar. Post here anyone interested.