Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 01:39 AM

Default A few Qs for you SH guys who used to play Full Ring

Question 1: I've been playing SH for the past couple of months. I've accumulated almost as much experience SH as Full. I've noticed the play is much worse SH than Full ring and I feel I have a much greater advantage. The difference however, is that my winrate is not even close to what it was full ring. I've also talked to a few friends and they also confirm the findings. This seems very counterintuitive b/c the play seems worse @ SH. Do other people find this to be true? Do any of you guys have significantly higher or lower (+/-.5bbs) win rates in SH or Full ring?

Question 2: MP2 open raises in a full ring game, I'm on the button and see AJo. Is this an easy 3 bet? Its analogous to saying, UTG raises and I'm OTB in a 6max game. To me thats an easy 3 bet. How bout KQo? I would routinely 3 bet in 6 max but what about full ring?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:59 AM

Default Re: A few Qs for you SH guys who used to play Full Ring

as far as question 2, it depends. On the norm, I'm three betting with a fair amount of hands when the MP2 opens. KQo and AJo are pretty easy three bets IMO, A8s+ a fair amount(where the dividing line is all depends on how much the opener opens and what they tend to open with). KJs sometimes, and most likely 66+
Old 11-11-2005, 02:12 AM

The variance in shorthanded play is way higher than in full ring. You are pushing much smaller edges and will vary pretty significantly from your true win rate.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 AM

I've played over 100k hands full (2/4 and 3/6), over 150k hands 3/6 SH, around 40k hands 5/10 SH a handfull at 10/20 SH. My winrate at 3/6 SH was around .6 BB/100 hands higher than at 2/4 and 3/6 full, but these sample sizes are still way too small for that too mean anything. From my experience, I feel that the 5/10 SH players are significantly worse than the 3/6 full players and that my winrate should be significantly higher. Unfortunately games change faster than winrates converge, so I we will never know for sure.

As far as 3 betting AJo after an MP2 open in a full game: the only difference between this situation and a UTG open on a 6max table is the aggression of the opponents. In SH this is a 3-bet because an average opponent may have a PFR of around 15%. In full ring, an average PFR might be 8%. It really depends on the player who is opening. Likewise if a sane 42/7 opened from UTG in a 6max game, you would want to fold your AJo.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:18 AM

The rate at which you pay your blinds will effect your winrate. Shorter games mean more blinds, which will bring down your BB/100, all other things equal.

-d
Old 11-11-2005, 04:21 AM

UTG full ring and UTG 6 handed are entirely different spots. It's how close you are to the blinds that matters, not the order you act in.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG full ring and UTG 6 handed are entirely different spots. It's how close you are to the blinds that matters, not the order you act in.

[/ QUOTE ]

koo-koo kachoo.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The rate at which you pay your blinds will effect your winrate. Shorter games mean more blinds, which will bring down your BB/100, all other things equal.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? everyone else is paying more often too...
Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 AM

In 100 hands at a full table, you pay 10 big blinds and 10 small blinds.

In 100 hands at a 6-max table, you pay 16.67 big blinds and 16.67 small blinds.

The more often you play those positions (which are -EV), the more negative effect it will have on your winrate. Unless i'm just missing something obvious.

-d
Old 11-11-2005, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In 100 hands at a full table, you pay 10 big blinds and 10 small blinds.

In 100 hands at a 6-max table, you pay 16.67 big blinds and 16.67 small blinds.

The more often you play those positions (which are -EV), the more negative effect it will have on your winrate. Unless i'm just missing something obvious.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you're also in the MP2(UTG in 6M), MP3(MP in 6M), CO and OTB more too. By your logic you'd have to be a loser HU or 3 way because you're in the blinds practically always.