Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: More fun w/middle pair

you played this really passive IMO. I'm raising PF with the button open donker. I'm also finding a CR in there also against this opponent, most likely on the flop. I'm not finding a fold anywhere against this villian
Old 11-09-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A raise pf is interesting but I hate playing these hands OOP when I miss the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely why you raise marginal hands preflop. Do you see why?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A raise pf is interesting but I hate playing these hands OOP when I miss the flop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is precisely why you raise marginal hands preflop. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm no i dont see,why exactly?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:45 PM

When you raise/3-bet preflop with somewhat marginal hands OOP, your autobet on a flop with overcards helps to define your hand very well, as long as you're not playing a thinking TAG or a maniac LAG. Against most average players, as well as monkeys, you'll know pretty quickly on the flop where villain stands. Trickier players will smooth call your flop bet and raise you on the turn, which is harder to adjust to, but generally, raising these hands preflop makes it much easier to play after the flop.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:52 PM

Looks like I'm the only one who plays it exactly the same. Let him bluff his worse hands for you. He looks laggy, so he would have probably open raised preflop with any Ace or King. Don't blow him off his junk.

(I can see a preflop raise on your part depending on your recent history with the lag and the BB though)

I say well played.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:55 PM

fold equity and value, since our hand is generally gonna be stronger then the open limper's
Old 11-09-2005, 05:12 PM

I very much disagree with your assessment. If I raise pf, its likely going to be a 3 way hand w/6 sbs in the pot. If I bet any flop, people are getting 7:1 to call and will likely do so with any 2 cards. If I hit the flop, 7:1 isn't that bad for them to peel with if they hit a piece also. If I miss the flop 7:1 is fine odds for them to call me w/just about any 2 cards. On top of that, lets pick out the times when I bet the flop and get called by 1 opponent. How does that define his hand? He could have middle pair, bottom pair, or even tpwk afraid of domination. Whats my play on the turn. If I check, he bets, I could be folding incorectly if he's got bottom pair or calling incorrectly if he's got top pair.

I don't know how much equity edge I have pf and I can't really take advantage of it too much when I'm oop.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:18 PM

For the record, I wasnt recommending raising preflop. I just was stating the general rationale for why one would raise preflop with a marginal holding. I think in order for a preflop raise to be correct, you need to be assured the BB is going to fold. It's certainly not a clear raise, and I probably play the preflop like you did. No point in bloating the pot multiway when Im OOP holding crappy cards.